Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at getting a 2010 Tundra DC 5.7l TRD Off Road. The total cost with options is MSRP 36263.

Here is my question. Edmunds and other similar sites have the invoice price being 32,500 -33,000. The specific target price for this model with the same options in my area is 33,400. I want to offer 33,500 solid. Do dealers get mad if you tell them you looked at Edmunds and other sites like this? Is this a good price to ask? This specific model has been on the lot since thanksgiving and they have two others on the lot as well. Also this dealer the DOC fees are only 34.50 ( I checked )

Thanks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I would contact the dealerships "internet" department and make them the offer you have in mind. Generally you can avoid dealing with a regular "lot" salesman and the hassle of negotiating. Your offer is more than fair.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
The truck (and anything else you want to buy) is only worth what someone will pay for it. Doesen't matter what the price ticket says. Go talk directly to the salesman (better yet his manager) and say "this truck has been here for 6 or 7 months, I love it but not at 36. I'll give you 28,5 for it." And then SHUT UP. Let him/her tell you why that's bad. Promise me this, don't say a word for 90 seconds. He'll first laugh a bit and tell you "I bet you would take it at 28,5." Don't make a sound. Just stare at him because he hasn't said he won't take the offer. He'll not expect you to just stare. Now he'll squirm and probably lower his voice and say "I can't go below 34,500." And he probably can't either. You then say, "Lets go talk to your boss". Now he starts that "let me talk to the mgr and see what we can do" routine. He wants you to think he's on YOUR side when he negotiates with HIS boss. The boss will come back and say 33,6 is the best we can do, yada, yada. Just stare. Don't say a word. Just look at him like he's said the dumbest thing ever. He may, in another 30 seconds of silence, start blabbing and drop it some more. If you're going to finance with him you can then say "I'm willing to be reasonable. If I finance through you can you go to 29,5?" He usually makes money when you finance through the dealership on the backend. So now you've given him TWO carrots (raised your price and offered to finance through him). Don't say a word. Let him give you 57 reasons why he can't take 29,5. Just stare at him. In 30 or 45 seconds he'll start to babble again. He might even get down to 30 or 31 and then he'll say that's the end. I can't go lower. You get up and say "I thought you were in business to sell stuff. Sorry I wasted your time." Start to walk out and they'll stop you with "what can we do to put you in this truck?" You then say I'll take it at 30 with a 100k warrentee plan throw in, no charge. He'll moan and groan like you asked for a pound of his flesh. Stick to your guns my friend and be prepared to get up and walk out the door. There are a lot of dealerships in this country that you can shop at. Doesn't matter where you are located. Good luck. Oh and if he gets mad, too damn bad. He's in business to sell cars/trucks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
If the invoice is 32500-33000, that doesn't include any rebates they may be offereing. So, if they are offering a 3k rebate (dont know what the current offers are) you would be offering 29500-30000 if you wanted to offer invoice. CHECK THE CURRENT INCENTIVES TOO! I don't think the target price includes them on Edmunds, beacause they are usually an 'either the rebate or the low interest rate' thing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big Money is so so right.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Big Money is so so right.
Man, I'm going to print this out and give it to my wife! Thanks for the vote of confidence. Took me thousands of dollars to figure it out. Gimme some "right" points too will ya. :D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
big money FTW.
it's all about being able to walk out of the dealership if you can't get your price.
I lived in Kenner for 10 yrs. The wife is from Lakeview. All her folks now live across the lake - had enough of the flooding. Stay dry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts