Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRAND NEW TO THIS!
Ok, now that we have that out of the way. I know computers, but have never had the need to do a "blog."
I bought a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (Black) and need a cab for it (not even sure if I'm using the correct term, because I've never wanted one on any of my trucks before.

I have a puppy and will not put her in the bed of my truck (EVER!). It's hot here and besides that, I don't think it's safe. I need to transport her (A LOT!) and I don't want to ruin the interior of my truck, doing it.

I've been on Craigslist and every other website I can think of. I've called my favorite truck accessory places and have been told by friends that this would be the best way to check out "the best deal" on cap shells for my truck.

I'd really appreciate any advice on this. I'm an expert on many things (especially boating safety, etc.), but not this, so I really appreciate any time spent on all your parts.

Thanks,

Bill

PS: Really not up to speed on this whole blog thing, so chances are I won't remember, or know how to check back here when and if someone replies, so please just email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
We traded our '05 for a 2010 to increase tow capacity following the purchase of a travel trailer. My '05 had a Truxedo tonneau we were very happy and satisfied with at the time. (I'd have probably switched it to the new truck if it had fit.)
Since it didn't, the missus suggested getting a bed cap. I didn't want one 'cause I use the truck for "truck stuff" as in dump going and brush hauling, but we needed something to keep camping gear out of the elements.

Solution? A Softopper truck cap.

Here's an inside view

It folds up out of the way (like a boat bimini top), or you Just pull off this ring, and the whole top comes off. I bought the storage boot to cover it when folded.

Here is link to their site Softopper - Pickup Truck Toppers, Camper Shells & Caps - Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge & More

It comes with a screen back flap for doggy-toters. Secure, well-built, looks good, easy on and off. I love it.

Teach

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I think crew max caps will be the hardest to find.
seems most people who have them are not using them to haul regularly.
There is always the option of buying new. Especially if you don't know how to paint as it will be less likely to find one in your color. And it isn't cheap to get one painted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Snug top, is your best bet for fit and leak proof because of how they are made. I just bought a 2010 new double cab limited and did a lot research bottom line snug fit also look the best I bought the super sport.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Currently in the market for a canopy/topper for the same reason. Need to keep the little monster in the bed.
SE2000 is right, at least in my experience, CrewMax canopies are almost impossible to find used. There are almost no other beds that are 5'6" long so you absolutely need to find another CrewMax owner who is getting rid of the canopy. Good luck. I've been look for about 2 months now and nothing and I have been searching multiple cities in about a 200 mile radius.

There are a lot of options for canopies the meet different needs for different folks. Some of the nicer options and nice styles also cost a pretty penny. For my needs I've been looking at the Leer 100R and the 100XR. If you are hauling dogs you need the 50/50 sliders so they can get good air back there. Snug Top makes a very nice product but they are pricier than the Leers. Unless someone knows of a good spot in WA that I can get into one for under 1500! :)

Good luck on your search and keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I used searchtempest to do a craigslist seach of my area for things. there are no crew max caps listed in the northeast. I can tell you you will never find a good used one until you buy a new one and then there will be one the next week

·
Banned
8,888 Posts
i'm having a 2008 CM and imported a jason cap to the netherlands...

http://jasoncaps.com/

as we have dogs too, i had it customized with a sliding window in the front, with the sliding window in the back of the truck, the dogs get enough fresh air..!! :tu:

:D dikkie :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts