I am looking at a Wildwood Sport 29fbsrv

Here are the specs

Overall Length including tongue 33'6"
Box length 28'
Dry Ship Weight 7500
Hitch Weight 1310
$18,900.00
Height is 12'2"

I have a 08 Tundra with the 20" wheel option 5.7l outfitted with a Prodgity Brake

I also have a 10,000 lb rated Equalizer Branded WDH

THe folks at the dealership claim with the WDH everything should be fine. Something tells me different. Maybe it's the sheer size of this model. It being 12"2" tall is quite intimidating. 1,300 lbs of tongue weight seems like way too much for this truck to hande even if it has a good quality WDH.

WHat are your all thoughts? Am I thinking too conservative? Am I thinking correctly?

I also have my eyes on a KZ266 MXT that is smaller in overall appearance and height. Here are the specs on it

Overall Length including tongue 31'
box length 27'
Dry Weight 5900
Hitch weight 720
height 8'10"

THe amneites are nicer as to power awning, 100 gal fresh water tank, entertainment system, but I think the wife will feel a little cramped in it in comparison with the larger wildwood. I want to get as much camper that this truck can handle without me or my truck being uncomfortable pulling it.

I need some words of wisdom, experience, ideasw, thoughts please!!!!

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
"I have a 08 Tundra with the 20" wheel option"

what are the tires rated at? upgrading from stock tires to E rated made towing so much better.

Dry Ship Weight 7500
Hitch Weight 1310

why so high a hitch weight?
what do you plan on putting in the hauler part? weight distribution effects hitch weight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tires are p metric.

I have no idea why the tongue weight is so high. I have a call into the manufacturer to see if there is some variance

I plan on hauling 2-3 and sometimes no 4wheelers depending on the trip

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
I would go for a heavier lt tire and air bags. Empty you are fine 3 -4 wheelers I don't think so.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we were looking at toyhaulers, we were told the hitch weight was higher than other travel trailers because when you load up the toys in the back you will lose some hitch weight. I just put some E-rated tires on my truck, have not towed the camper yet though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice all. I ended up with this rig instead. It fit the bill and I won the battle with the wife.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Congrats! Is that the MXT266 or 267 or the bigger 30'? Looks good.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you get bored, can you do me a favor and measure the toy door width? I looked at that model but the wife ruled it out. I was always curious if the ramp door was 54" or wider (to fit my race karts).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no problem, this one is 88" width, the whole door drops like yours currently. I think you may be referring to the 264 which has the 1/2 door with a bathroom in the back and bed fold down from the side?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Doh you are right! Sorry about that. I looked long and hard at the MXT but obviously got the models mixed up in my head. One of the things I really like about them is the much lower overall height.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doh you are right! Sorry about that. I looked long and hard at the MXT but obviously got the models mixed up in my head. One of the things I really like about them is the much lower overall height.

That is the #1 reason I did not choose the Wildwood, it's size. I will say towing the MXT is a breeze even having 32 feet behind you. I also like the amneties KZ offers. The attention to the details are very nice.

I thought I had a picture with the gate down but don't. If I get a moment this weekend I can post some more pics or measurements if you wish just let me know.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No big deal, was just curious if the wife had liked the 264 if it would have worked in the end. I'm now committed to the one we bought we got it for 1/2 price compared to buying new. With 3 karts, pit bikes, etc, I probably made the better choice for what I'm doing but you always wonder about other options. This being our first TH, I'm sure the wife and I will have ideas for the next one based on what we learn from this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts