Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the Highest mileage on original Timing Belt 4.7 V8

Currently have 156K trying to get the belt changed next week, hope I am not too late...

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I purchased my 2000 4x4 trd ac from my dad with 161,000 miles on it. Had original timing belt. That was priority number 1. When I took it in and had it replaced they said it looked good as new, BUT you can't tell grossly the integrity of the belt. Get her in, but don't sweat each second til you get her there.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I did mine on my 2004 at 153k Looked brand new. Truck is all high way miles.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There are many factors that affect rubber components on belts, like heat or cold depending where you live ,also factors that we don't see like rubber wearing out because water pump sipping leak that can come in contact with belt and shorten its life.Also bearings (idler, tensioner) that can fail and cause severe damage to eng.Timing belt tensioner can also cause a problem if fails ,cam and crank seals. all this parts should be checked or replaced when timing belt is replaced. So it's not how long your belt lasts. It more like you wan't your truck properly maintained or not. Some people changed their belt before their 90k recommended interval.I think 100 k is prudent. 150 or above it is just a little nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I had mine changed just before 90K. The scheduled maintenance
guide that came with my truck states 90K OR 72 months, so it
isn't just a mileage thing.

John

·
05' Tundra (Tun-Tun)
520 Posts
oh lol i felt bad being at 96K not doing it yet lol i am doing the whole big service thats gonna be like 700$ so im waiting for the money to magically appear in my account :D

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I hear you there. Mine cost about $800 at the dealer. I keep
waiting for money to magically appear too, but my wife keeps
making it magically disappear!! How many pairs of shoes does
a person need?

John

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I hear ya Packer.

sr5mike, I'm jealous. $80!! I wish I had a place I could've
done my own. I'm limited to what I can do now at work. It
would've saved me $720. Oh well, at least it's done.

John

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
You guys must make a lot more than me. For a day of my time and 80.00 I can have some peice of mind. A new motor is close to 5k. :fish:
My wife works as service writer for a Toyota dealer and couple of her techs have never seen one break. They have done some with over 200k and the belt still looks good. One of my wifes techs did mine and said he couldn't tell the diff with the new one. I did do mine once I bought the truck cause I was thinking the same thing Like WOW. I also did the water pump and all new coolant and the drive belt and drive belt tensioner. I bought the truck with 152k on it. Also I can get used motors for around 800-1500 with like 50-75k on them. I also work in the Automotive field

·
Registered
34 Posts
My wife's PT Cruiser's timing belt let go while she was driving it. That little 2.4L motor is also an interference type like the 2UZFE is. She had 149K on it.

AFTER I got an earful about how this sort of thing could happen ($1800 later), I called the dealership where I bought my Tundra at 95K miles. I found out that I was 120K miles OVERDUE for a timing belt change (at 225K miles)!

$1200 after THAT, I have a nice new belt, tensioner, pulleys, water pump, etc... AND peace of mind. Pittance compared to what new heads and pistons, not to mention valve train would have cost...and LABOR at $90/hr on top of that!!!

Advice: get it done! Don't gamble. Who knows what situation you will find yourself in when it breaks!

·
Registered
525 Posts
i got mine done at 136,000

·
Registered
910 Posts
Here's one way to look at:

$900 at the dealer / 90K miles = $.01 per mile.

You can buy a complete rebuilt kit along with upper and lower hoses and a t-stat for about $450 and do it yourself. Now it's $.005 per mile.

Of course, I'm figuring on replacement on miles and not time.

I've estimated the MAINTENANCE cost to drive my Tundra at $.0215 per mile. That's at 5K miles per year and it covers all time and mileage based maintenance including shocks, battery, tires, coolant, etc.

I put aside money every month to cover maintenance for all my vehicles. We recently bought a third vehicle with 55K on it. I set aside a lump sum to catch up on the maintenance reserve. I currently have $1,356 set aside for my Tundra. It has 68,200 miles and I do all the maintenance myself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2002 tundra is 68,000 miles and I dread changing this timing belt when the time comes. I really wish they would have put a chain on this motor like the 2003 corolla's. SR5mike (or others) so how hard was the tb change??? What kind of problems can I expect to run into? Should I change the water pump at 90k while doing this job? I do plan on research and planning to change my own timing belt.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts