Toyota Tundra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
109K on my original belt (2003 4.7 V8). I'm about to put some miles on it. I'm getting very nervous.

My dealer has been hounding me to replace it since about 75K miles. They want about $900 to do it.

I changed my serpentine belt and used to be more adventurous in my younger days (changed my clutch twice on my '78 Corolla), but not sure if I'm up to something like this. Who wants to encourage me? :)

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I'm getting very nervous.

Who wants to encourage me? :)
Just like Vegas. Feel lucky, let it go. Do not want to do it or have the tools, pay the dealer. I would get it done,
even if you are not sure on DIY. It sure is cheaper than a replacement engine, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
I'll encourage you as well. Fix it yourself or get it done, but just do it :tu:.

John

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I just had mine replaced, it had 179k on it, also did the water pump too.
Unfortunately when I got it back the radiator was leaking. Got into a discussion with the shop about how it could start leaking after they worked on my truck..........

Anyway to make a long story short, had to put in a radiator also. The shop only charged me for the cost of the radiator.
Just spent $1300 on my truck, hope I don't have to spend too much more any time soon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
107k and still not worried about it

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have an 02 Tundra with 105K. Called the dealer and asked about timing belt and water pump. About $900. I asked if that included tensioner and the guy said they don't change those out until the 2nd or 3rd timing belt change.

Huh? I thought it was prudent to change the tensioner at the same time you change the timing belt. All the kits I've seen have it included...seems like if you didn't need to do it each time the tensioner would be sold separately. Not sure I want the tensioner going another 100K before replacement.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Change the tensioner and the Idler pulley. My tensioner bearing was a little bit rough at 93,000. I don't think it would have made 180,000. The water pump was seeping a little bit. I noticed over the last year I had lost about 16 ounces in the overflow bottle. It's
a fairly pleasant job if you do your own work. A lot of parts but easy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
First timing belt at 120,000 including water pump, tensioner and idler pulley.

At 225,000 now, will likely change before I get to 230,000 including all the above.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm having a new frame put on as soon as they come in and was thinking of getting the timing belt done at the same time. Do you think they would cut me a break on labor seeing as they'll have the truck apart for the frame? 128,000 miles and still going strong, except for the frame, and three sets of brakes and rotors over the years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm having a new frame put on as soon as they come in and was thinking of getting the timing belt done at the same time. Do you think they would cut me a break on labor seeing as they'll have the truck apart for the frame? 128,000 miles and still going strong, except for the frame, and three sets of brakes and rotors over the years.
The company info says they are supposed to give you a break on the parts and do the labor
free. In the case of a T/B they will probably want some labor as it is not just a off/on part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
At 213,000 miles the original timing belt was replaced on my 2001 Tundra Limited 4x4. Vehicle is supercharged and about 80% of the miles are highway. The conditon of the belt was better than expected. There wasn't any cracking or fraying. Normal wear along the back side of the belt and in the teeth area. The mechanic commented that he'd like to know how many miles it would have gone before failure. So replacement after 80K is possible and 100K seems reasonable. The timing belt seems to outlast the serpentine belt by a wide margin. Not sure if I still have the original timing belt. Will post a few pictures if I can locate it.

Also replaced were the water pump, hydraulic tensioner, idler pulleys, serpentine belt, thermostat and antifreeze. A Gates timing belt was installed. There was evidence of some coolant leakage from the top gasket of the water pump. Engine ran the same before and after the service.

John

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Back when I had a Sonoma, three GM dealers told me to never change the serpantine belt until it started fraying and chunks came off the ridges. Cracks didn't matter.
I used two belts in 623,000 miles on my Dakota....because I used belt dressing to try solving the squeak caused by a worn-out idler arm that made the pully out of alignment and made it squeal.
But that is the easily replaced belt.

The range for replacing a Tundra timing belt is around 20,000 miles beyond the specified maintainence time. The belt will last longer than the recommended time but you have to ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?

Let's see;
I changed my Tundra timing belt at 119,000 miles.
I didn't change my Dakota timing chain in 623,000 miles.
I prefer chains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
126K on original and getting nervous. Will try to do the job myself since I did it on 4 cilinders before.
Truck runs fine except ticking loud first minute below freezing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just bought a used 2004 DC with 143k miles on it. Replaced the serpentine and timing belt yesterday. The serpentine looked bad with a lot of cracking on it. The timing belt look very good. Soft, no brittle rubber. The T-belt did not have cracks or any missing ribs on it. Definately the 1st belt replacement on this truck and I could have gone maybe 50k longer. Good peace of mind that it is done. But with this motor, I should have known that I would have been ok pushing it out a while longer. Now I know for the next Tundra I buy.

·
2,875 Posts
The 4.7 is an interference engine so if you don't change it and it lets go my question to you is was it worth it? I for one hate timing belts and wish that a gear driven kit were available for these engines or at least a double roller chain.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Holly [email protected] ppl... 150 000 miles not belt change???? I had 128 000 miles on my truck and toyota told me $1200 for the work and I was unemployed at the time so had sleepless nights....

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What are you going to do when you find the highest mileage original timing belt? finally reply and let someone know when you changed yours or show pictures of the damage? :beatsme: maybe he had an intervention :abduction:

·
Registered
118 Posts
My co-worker is at 254k on the original t-belt. He doesn't care though, cuz he has parents that are always there to bail him out financially. I told him he's nuts, because he tows a lot and takes a lot of desert trips to go dirt bike riding. As a Toyota/Lexus tech for 9 years, I have never seen a belt let go, or visually looked like it was going to come apart out off all the t-belts I have done, but then again, you can't really tell by manually inspecting it.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts