Toyota Tundra Forums banner

81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Getting my timing belt done tomorrow at 97K $930 water pump/coolant/thermostat drive belt/bearings for the pulley. Getting nervous on the road that it might break now i will be good for another 97K

·
Registered
64 Posts
wife has 200,000 mi. after finding this forum i decided to get on it. Flused trans fluid last week plan on ding timing belt and serpentine. even though they still look ok to me. will get on it soon.

my tundra has 285,000 miles on it and will get on replacing timing belt on it also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just had the original belt, water pump, and pulleys on my 2000 SR5 done today at 165,630. The belt looked good - no broken / cracked teeth, but there was signs of cracking on the back side. Water pump had signs of leaking.

I will sleep much better now.

(cell phone pics, sorry)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Im an advisor at Tustin Toyota. I did both my Tundra and my 4Runner at 110k. Had to do waterpumps on both. Mikey157, you are a lucky man. Those cracks are bad news. We have seen 4 break. A Landcruiser, 4Runner and 2 Tundras. All needed at least one head, but the Landcruiser was doing 80 on the 5 freeway when it let go. Both heads and a short block. 11k later the truck drove out. It only had 105k on it but it was an 03 with an 02 production date. This was late last year so I think it is more a time thing rather than mileage. If any of you in the OC area need anything, parts or service, hit me up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought an 03 access cab a few weeks ago with 95k. The used dealership had no idea if the belt had been changed at the recommended 90k. I have no idea how I can tell if it has been changed. Any suggestions. I know the frame has been replaced on it so I am hoping the previous owner also had the regular service done it.

If I do need to get it done I am in luck though. I called the local Toyota dealer for a quote the other day and they told me ~$650 for all belts and a water pump. Then the day after I called I received a 'coupon' in the mail from the dealer for 15% off all parts and service. I have the ability to do it on my own but the convenience of having Toyota do it might outweigh the labor savings to me. I am thinking I need to get it done soon since I am doing a fair amount of boat towing.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I have 85k on my truck now.. I was looking into doing the timing belt my self when time comes.

What parts did you guys replace or recommend replacing when doing the Job??

Timing Belt
Water Pump
Tension Pulley?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
my brother has gone like 178k on original

·
Registered
10 Posts
I replaced mine at 84,000 because of the age of the truck. I bought a kit with the timing belt ,tensioner seals water pump and serpintine belt for under $400 It was not that hard just time consuming. The water pump was starting to leak so it was a good time to do it. It took me about 5 hrs.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I replaced mine at 84,000 because of the age of the truck. I bought a kit with the timing belt ,tensioner seals water pump and serpintine belt for under $400 It was not that hard just time consuming. The water pump was starting to leak so it was a good time to do it. It took me about 5 hrs.
Where did you buy the kit??? Was it OEM Toyota or aftermarket?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought all parts from rockauto.com somewhere around $320 timing belt, water pump, tensioner, tensioner bearing, idler bearing, radiator thermostat, upper coolant hose, lower coolant hose, cam seals, crank seal, serpentine belt. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Chuck

·
Registered
143 Posts
I went 190,000 plus on my 2001 tundra limited on the original belt and water pump, before i sold it. never had a problem "thank god'. I really abused the heck out of it too!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just got the belt replaced on my "new" '01 Tundra V8 at 168,500 miles. Everything original, including plugs, coolant, and filter. People who don't change things when they need to be shouldn't be allowed to own nice trucks like this one lol.

·
8,499 Posts
In regards to timing belt kits, eBay seller Volkstoy has put together their "Ultimate 2UZFE Timing Belt Kit" that adds new hoses, thermostat, coolant, etc ($415).

Here's their "Premium" kit ($300).

They also have a basic 2UZFE timing belt kit as well that includes a GMB water pump, Mitsuboshi timing belt, Bando serpentine belt, GMB idler bearing, GMB tensioner bearing, new front crank seal, two new cam seals, a thermostat o-ring gasket, and a thermostat housing o-ring for $245.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
56000 miles on mine, but over ten years old. Do I need to worry?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I stopped at my mechanic's garage today and talked to him about doing this job, now that most of the parts showed up already today. He told me that I wouldn't have any problem doing this, it should take about 4 hours since I never did it on this motor before.
I rebuild a few motors over the yrs., took them down to the block and had them cooked out, then bored to size, etc. He said if I don't feel like wrenching he would charge me 3 hrs. labor to do it himself.

Remmy700P,

I actually checked with that ebay seller and saved a few bucks by go with rockauto.com with a discount coupon, same water pump, same timing belt, other parts comparable.

Chuck

·
2,875 Posts
Hell I'd pay him the 3hrs labor cost and let him do it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'm at 199k, bought the truck with 197k and I'm not sure if this has been done. I am mechanically competent, but financially I can't afford the kit. What would the basics be that I would need?

·
8,499 Posts
I'm at 199k, bought the truck with 197k and I'm not sure if this has been done. I am mechanically competent, but financially I can't afford the kit. What would the basics be that I would need?
The basic components are in volkstoy's $245 kit above, but I think it's shortsighted to try to skimp here. You have 200,000 miles on your truck. Are you telling me you don't need new hoses, thermostat, etc???

All the work is already done just to get to the belt, so while you have everything off, replace everything you can.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts