Toyota Tundra Forums banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
56000 miles on mine, but over ten years old. Do I need to worry?
my thoughts exactly...my 04 DC has 75k on it, should I still do it since I'm past the time but not miles?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
my thoughts exactly...my 04 DC has 75k on it, should I still do it since I'm past the time but not miles?
What I hear is the belts deteriorate more with mileage than age and I think there is a quite a bit of tolerance built in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I maintain my truck religiously, and have a great mechanic, but between the two of us we neglected to change the timing belt until 400,000 miles. Big oops. Have 620k on it now, same engine and tranny. Must be my rabbit's foot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just replaced original today at 194,000 miles because it started squealing when I really stepped on the gas. Belt looked great when I took it off. I do notice less hesitation. Well worth the $26 for the new belt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Tundradr, I see you're from Michigan. So am I. My truck has 101K. I am scheduled for a timing belt replacement at the Toyota dealer in Mt Clemens on the 24th of this month. They only want to replace the timing belt, the water pump and the serpentine belt and want to charge me over $800. After reading this thread, I think I want the other parts changed too. I've been looking for a mechanic for a while here. So, my question is, is your mechanic in the Detroit area? I'm from up around Port Huron.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sorry, he's in traverse city. but it makes a great getaway if you have a sig other who can drive up w another car. mechanic is curt at worldwide automotive 231-932-2222. he's a pretty fast mechanic and is very reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
I changed my Timing Belt and water pump for the first time at 156K (currently have 235K) on my 2000 Tundra Limited. Water pump was weeping a bit. Old belt looked brand new. Replaced with all Toyota parts. Did the work myself, with the help of my brother-in-law over a weekend and a Haynes/Chilton manual. Not too difficult, just alot of parts to remove. If doing the work yourself, just stay organized and keep everything in order by the way you take it off and put it back on in reverse. The timing belt tensioner was a little tricky as you need to be able to compress it with a vice and place a nail in the hole to keep it compressed until you reinstall it before pulling the nail to create the tension. Truck still running like a top.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Stupidest thread on the forum. Why don't you just call it the "Who can skid to a stop closest to the cliff" thread.

Did you ever stop to consider that the "winner" is a loser?
No kidding- This thread needs to die! It serves no useful purpose other than to prove who was cheap and/or dumb enough to scatter their V8, rather than perform regularly scheduled maintenance. The funny part is- we'll never hear from any actual "winners" Lol- They'll be to embarrassed to post info indicating how many miles they'd gone before their engine went "BOOM!" haha!
Seriously- what's next? the "Who's got the dirtiest engine oil, rustiest coolant, blackest brake fluid or baldest tires" thread?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I recently posted pictures of a B-24. It flies today because those engines have been meticulously maintained for the last 69 years.
Of course they can't call AAA when engines fail. Yeah, that's the difference.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I changed my timing belt and tensioner and water pump (etc.) for the first time at 260K miles. It was so stupid, too. I should have changed it long before that. The job isn't that difficult.

I paid a friend $300 for the labor, and I got the parts on ebay for about $300 or so, maybe $350.

Tip: you must take out the radiator to access everything, so if you have lots of miles, you might as well get a new radiator (I purchased one on ebay for $100), and replace it since everything is disassembled anyways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2002 tundra is 68,000 miles and I dread changing this timing belt when the time comes. I really wish they would have put a chain on this motor like the 2003 corolla's. SR5mike (or others) so how hard was the tb change??? What kind of problems can I expect to run into? Should I change the water pump at 90k while doing this job? I do plan on research and planning to change my own timing belt.
What size engine ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2001 Tundra with 200k on it with plenty of dealership maintenance records up until 2015 (120k) including timing belt replaced at 90k but I don't know if it has been serviced since and I am a little concerned about it, I have never replaced a timing belt and from U-tube videos it looks like an all day project, I don't know if I am living on borrowed time or not, James

·
Registered
55 Posts
I picked up an 05 Access Cab with 267K miles just before Christmas 2019. Original owner only did "immediate need" maintenance... I did the belt and pump kit (along with a bunch of other things) Belt was original beginning to show cracks all over... glad i got it done.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts