Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that all answers would be here for me.

I'm looking to buy my first Tundra. It's a 2006 SR5 4-door RWD and has 45k miles. I have scheduled a test drive for tomorrow, and was looking for some advice on any issues that I should be aware of or look for.

Any assistance or advice is greatly appreciated. I have a 10 month old little girl, so I want to make sure I'm getting a good vehicle. I have the 4-door sedan "Daddy's car", but I am looking to get into the 4-door "Daddy's truck".

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
I'd spend some serious time underneath it inspecting for rust and corrosion. Pay attention to frame weld points, crossmembers, mounting bolts, suspension components, alignment cams, etc etc. If you find anything other than minor surface scaling, I'd walk.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Look for leaks or obvious signs of cleaning something up. Most 45K mile vehicles shouldn't need an underhood detailing. I have (actually giving it to my soon to be driver age son) a 2005 D/C 2wd and it's dry and tight after 120+ thousand miles and the engine area is pretty nice and it's never been cleaned. Best vehicle I've ever owned. About 5-6 weeks ago I bought a black 2006 TRD SR5 D/C 2wd with 40,300 miles on it to replace the 2005. Sunroof, JBL stereo, new tires and brakes. Certified Toyota used truck. $18139.19 out the door. Pay for a CarFax to verify whatever the seller is telling you.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
My advice is if you like it act like you dont and see if they throw in a extended warranty to get it sold, just for some added peace of mind. :)

I bought my '06 CPO SR5 DC back in Dec. '09 for $17.8 and the manager included a Platinum 7yr / 100K mile warranty since I wasnt too happy about the silver sky paint but its grown on me now. :)

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Get 4WD...you'll thank yourself come winter, and the first time you have to jump off the pavement...I didn't use 4WD much in Dayton, but those times I needed it, I really needed it. It doesn't take much to keep the system in good shape...just find a dirt road once a month and poke the button.

Rust is about the only thing to look for. 06, in general, was a good year...they did about everything right on the truck, fixed a lot of things that were problems with the earlier model 1st-gens.

-Sean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I signed the letter of purchase intent. I'm taking the check to the lot tomorrow. I am one day away from officially owning my very own Toyota Tundra. Thanks to everyone who helped guide me through the inspection process. I have a VERY nice truck.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Well, I signed the letter of purchase intent. I'm taking the check to the lot tomorrow. I am one day away from officially owning my very own Toyota Tundra. Thanks to everyone who helped guide me through the inspection process. I have a VERY nice truck.
Congrats!! :highfive:

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Make sure you do a carfax or autocheck before you purchase it for sure.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts