Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Tundra 1794 edition with JBL. Im looking to upgrade my head unit to something that has apple CarPlay but Id still like to be able to retain most of the OEM features as well as the steering wheel controls. A lot of forums I frequent seem to have some out of date information so want to see what's new out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Tundra 1794 edition with JBL. Im looking to upgrade my head unit to something that has apple CarPlay but Id still like to be able to retain most of the OEM features as well as the steering wheel controls. A lot of forums I frequent seem to have some out of date information so want to see what's new out there.
I bought a Jensen head unit works great with apple car play for my '04 SR5. Been in for about three months. No issues so far, even ran a rear camera to the head unit. I bought the head unit the wiring kits including the wiring kits that allows you to keep steering wheel controls all for $303.00 honestly felt like I got a great deal. Time will tell though. Bought everything from rockauto.com, very easy to find all components you're looking for on their site.
Hope this helps, Cheers!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure what you want to spend, but I'll tell you what I did. I have a 2012 Tundra w/JBL. I thought it was awful. When looking to replace it, I found out that there are different systems in play with the head unit. The dash speakers, all 3 (figure that one out) are driven by the head unit. All speakers in the doors are driven by an amp under the front passenger seat. The speakers themselves are cheap, 2 ohm speakers which won't take much more power than the installed amps can dish out.
I bought a kit from Taco Tunes (Toyota Audio Solutions) which had everything I needed to replace everything but the head unit. You're looking to go another step, but getting everything else from them might be a good first step. The work is very involved, got to remove all the seats, door panels, etc. The kit I bought replaces all speakers in the doors, a line converter, an amp, and matting for noise reduction for the 4 doors and the floor.
This might not work for you, but it did for me. As always, YMMV. And BTW, I don't work for Taco Tunes. Good luck, and keep us updated on what you end up doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts