Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my plan to keep the bed on just simply isn't going to work out....so I am now going to attempt to design a functional and decent looking Tundra flatbed.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
heck keep it like it is save your money, eventually it will be a flat bed.
Great pics!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I think I'm going to just keep it. I would like to buy a replacement outer bed panel for the drivers side and dovetail the bed in the rear.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Jon, you lasted a long time in keeping that truck in "pristine" condition. Wheel in badass areas and sooner or later Ole Man Murphy catches up with everybody - it was just your turn this go around. I'd keep the box on if I were in your shoes, as your Tundra is definitely one of a kind build by a true off-road enthusiast. Was it a poor/gamble spot or just fate?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
was it a poor/gamble spot or just fate?
It was one of those deals where a tree was growing out at an angle and a rock on the opposite side kept throwing me into it - we pulled the *** end around a few times with my buddies taco, but everytime I would move an inch either way it would just slam me right back into the tree......so I kindly asked everyone to move aside, threw it in double low, and pinned it to the point that it was bouncing off the rev limiter - made it through :devil: ! Soooo.........it was mostly due to the stubborn, impatient driver :eek: !

Do you still have any pictures of your fuel cell set up?

Side note - I am having my truck shipped out to Partsmike's place in July to run the TTORA Toyota Rubicon run (7/9 - 7/11) - think you will make that one?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Side note - I am having my truck shipped out to Partsmike's place in July to run the TTORA Toyota Rubicon run (7/9 - 7/11) - think you will make that one?
That's my birthday weekend!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's my birthday weekend!
Mine too - 7/13! Me and my girlfriend are going to stay in Tahoe for the night when we get off the trail and then swing over to Yosemite on the way back to Auburn.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I hear that. I got my "tree rub" pulling off the trail for a group and slipping into a weird looking cedar that just reached out and touched me. The rock rash was at night when it was blacker than Toby's arse and I cut the turn a little short as I didn't see that rock hidding in plain view but I felt the bugger on my sliders and I didn't allow for no kickout and wham bang thank you madam and it was over. I'll put a couple pictures in my photo section of the fuel cell location. I'm running an electrical pump above my frame rails and have an aftermarket fuel filter before the pump and I'm using the stock toyota filter after the pump (same stock location). I was planning on running the Rubion this summer in the '95 Cruiser w/my son-in-law but as long as your rigs going to be in that event there's no reason I can't be there. I'll look to register now and I'll give the dates to my son-in-law, so he can arrange to be off during that time period.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear that. I got my "tree rub" pulling off the trail for a group and slipping into a weird looking cedar that just reached out and touched me. The rock rash was at night when it was blacker than Toby's arse and I cut the turn a little short as I didn't see that rock hidding in plain view but I felt the bugger on my sliders and I didn't allow for no kickout and wham bang thank you madam and it was over. I'll put a couple pictures in my photo section of the fuel cell location. I'm running an electrical pump above my frame rails and have an aftermarket fuel filter before the pump and I'm using the stock toyota filter after the pump (same stock location). I was planning on running the Rubion this summer in the '95 Cruiser w/my son-in-law but as long as your rigs going to be in that event there's no reason I can't be there. I'll look to register now and I'll give the dates to my son-in-law, so he can arrange to be off during that time period.
Awesome man! I'm leaning pretty hard on Tedd to get off his dead a$$ and run it with us also :devil: ! Uhmmm........Mike, hello?

·
Premium Member
6,873 Posts
Mine too - 7/13! Me and my girlfriend are going to stay in Tahoe for the night when we get off the trail and then swing over to Yosemite on the way back to Auburn.
We should at least plan on having a gathering while you are down. Planning on hiking up half dome? Sorry to go off subject.

I'll PM you. Back to the subject.

How about doing what Wyatt did on his tacoma? Tube the bed and get some removal bed side skins. I plan to keep my bed and get a canvas topper. May add some added protection to keep the bed in it's current shape.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
JJC - how'z the Toyo's working for you?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I love that truck, weren't you thinking about selling it at one point and building a buggy?
I was probably thinking more along the lines of stripping the $11M worth of aftermarket crap I have on it and building a buggy.

I've now decided to just dovetail the bed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts