Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '00 Tundra 4.7 has 48k miles on it. It runs great, get decent mileage and has been trouble free. The only thing is my idle is about 150-200 rpms? Every once in a while it will even stall at a traffic light. Is this adjustable? I'm not due for a tune up and would like to fix this myself.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'll throw out a couple uneducated guesses.
oxygen sensor bad or maybe the mass airflow sensor is dirty? Engine getting wrong EGTs? Is the check engine light on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello, i also have a 00 tundra that does the same thing!!.
i bought it new and it started doing this about 2 yrs. old and around 160k.
i have found that a real good and clean conn. to the bat. did help a great deal. i put a s/c on it at 190k with a few other mods. it has 240k on it now with many redline miles. i run mobil 1 in it, and have only changed the plugs in the engine.i am however on my 4th rear end. 2 thumbs up great truck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
My '00 Tundra 4.7 has 48k miles on it. It runs great, get decent mileage and has been trouble free. The only thing is my idle is about 150-200 rpms? Every once in a while it will even stall at a traffic light. Is this adjustable? I'm not due for a tune up and would like to fix this myself.
I would clean the throttle body first. When I did this, it popped my idle up to about 1000 rpm for a couple of days until the computer compensated. Do a search on this forum and the engine forum for some tips on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
mine idled at around 400-600 today at a traffic light and it kinda made me think alittle. Im going to clean my throttle body in 2 weeks when im out of school.

·
Registered
83 Posts
mine idled at around 400-600 today at a traffic light and it kinda made me think alittle. Im going to clean my throttle body in 2 weeks when im out of school.
Why do you thing that is low? What RPMs is it supposed to udle at? Mine idles PERFECTLY at 500-600RPMs, no hesitation/stalling whatsoever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would clean the throttle body first. When I did this, it popped my idle up to about 1000 rpm for a couple of days until the computer compensated. Do a search on this forum and the engine forum for some tips on how to do it.
This issue with my 2000 Tundra that has 88k miles is the sole reason why I joined this forum. I knew someone here would have the answer. Mine stalled when I put it in park last week. Running at 300 or less RPMs at times. When I catch it, I can goose the gas pedal and it's just fine. However if I have the stereo turned up, I don't always do this in time.

Running the A/C helps too for obvious reasons....

I have a K&N filter in mine and hasn't been cleaned in a while, so I cleaned it. Again, that was last week. Today, I just about stalled out at a light.

Since there are a lot of Tundras doing this, will Toyota do anything about it? Namely for free? I don't know the first thing about cleaning a throttle body.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
Cleaning the throttle body is fairly simple just take the intake tube off you will see a butterfly flap get you some carb cleaner spray liberaly wipe down with shop rag also I usually wipe inside of tube thats it.Truck will crank longer after initial cleaning its just the cleaner working its way through may even have to try cranking it twice for it to start.Also while you at it get you some maf cleaner and there is a plug on intake lid with 2 screws unplug it take it off and spray with cleaner let dry reinstall now you are done.PS be sure to change oil soon after cleaning.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
This issue with my 2000 Tundra that has 88k miles is the sole reason why I joined this forum. I knew someone here would have the answer. Mine stalled when I put it in park last week. Running at 300 or less RPMs at times. When I catch it, I can goose the gas pedal and it's just fine. However if I have the stereo turned up, I don't always do this in time.

Running the A/C helps too for obvious reasons....

I have a K&N filter in mine and hasn't been cleaned in a while, so I cleaned it. Again, that was last week. Today, I just about stalled out at a light.

Since there are a lot of Tundras doing this, will Toyota do anything about it? Namely for free? I don't know the first thing about cleaning a throttle body.
K&N air filters require service if it's one of those wash and rinse and spray me with oil K$N's! How many miles do ya have on it since ya cleaned the last time? If ya drive dusty Arkansas country roads a lot i would dump the K$N but if not just keep it clean every oil change or every other and i know that seems over kill but motor needs clean air also does it have the sock adapter to help keep element clean on it ? They sell a Throttle Body cleaner that sounds like would help ya which was previously mentioned and just follow previous instructions. The quality of gas yall get has probably gummed up everything in the throttle body and just needs cleaning!! If all this does nothing Take it To Toyota, ya could have a bad part in system? I would also check for dissconeccted lines and hoses under hood near TB!! WOOOPIGSOOIE!!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
K&N air filters require service if it's one of those wash and rinse and spray me with oil K$N's! How many miles do ya have on it since ya cleaned the last time? If ya drive dusty Arkansas country roads a lot i would dump the K$N but if not just keep it clean every oil change or every other and i know that seems over kill but motor needs clean air also does it have the sock adapter to help keep element clean on it ? They sell a Throttle Body cleaner that sounds like would help ya which was previously mentioned and just follow previous instructions. The quality of gas yall get has probably gummed up everything in the throttle body and just needs cleaning!! If all this does nothing Take it To Toyota, ya could have a bad part in system? I would also check for dissconeccted lines and hoses under hood near TB!! WOOOPIGSOOIE!!:)
Yep, did the throttle body cleaning last night. It was very simple and easy. I'll do this again down the road as I still run the K&N. Cleaned that too earlier in the week.

I don't drive that many dirt roads around here, mostly stay on the highway and city streets.

The throttle body was rather dirty. This morning it ran just fine on my morning commute.

Go Hogs!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
All that varnish blow by gets gummed up on everything and newer truck are more sensitive to junky gas seems!! try to stay away from fuel system/injector cleaner, my plugs look red and i will not use anymo!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sequoia, 2001 with 97,000 miles- constantly at Low Idle---
Changed Plugs yesterday and was a little better.

Thanks to this forum I removed and cleaned the throttle body. There was a fairly think ring of buildup on either side of the butterfly valve that seemed to make it difficult for the valve to operate in a linear or predictable fashion. A easy job to clean, got all the gunk off and re-installed it. While I was at it I found a few vacuum lines that had no clamps and with an aging car the rubber does not grab like new. I clamped them. I also used Caig D-Oxit 5 spray on all the connectors.

RUNS LIKE NEW!! It now idles at 600-800, and starts without hesitation.
Thank you to all for this thread.

If anyone has other tips for a V8 hitting 100,000 miles I would love to hear about them.
George
Metairie, LA:ts:

·
Registered
195 Posts
clean throttle body and maf at least every other oil change.

dont know if it matters, but i used crc specific tb and another crc can maf specific sensor cleaner. the results were worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts