Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started noticing my 2006 SR5 Access Cab V6 with 110k miles shifter started to feel sloppy when putting in and out of gear and park. So I removed the two piece plastic steering/ignition cover. I noticed there was some white/yellow plastic that had crumbled and was on the plastic cover when taking off. I also noticed another small round piece on my floor mat a few weeks earlier.

So basically it looks like there was a plastic bushing that used to sit in the end of the shifter cable where the metal shifter pin connected to. Probably just snapped in when manufactured. Well now that it basically crumbled away you have a small metal shifter pin going through a large shift cable hole. So this may the problem some of you guys are experiencing and not shift cable adjustment as some have mentioned.

I went to my local Toyota dealership and they said you can’t buy just the bushing you have to buy and replace the entire shift cable. I have searched online and have only found either the entire shift assembly or shift cable.

That is nuts to have to spend 180.00 for a .50 plastic bushing. So I will have to create a fix or find a bushing that will fit on the shifter cable. Maybe I can use a C clip or thread the small metal pin and put a hex/nylon locknut on the end.
Talk about a poor design. I guess they don’t account for hot and cold conditions inside the cab for the last six years to deteriorate the plastic bushing. I may report this to the NHTSA as this could possibly poise some danger.

Joe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I will try to post some pictures as soon as I have the time to take the plastic cover off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pics for the fix I did this weekend on my 2006 Tundra SR5 Access Cab.
I bought the grommets and push nuts assortment packs at Pep Boys. This is basically replacing the old plastic grommet between shift cable and shift arm pin. The old plastic dry rot/ cracked grommet was found on lower plastic panel when removed the first time for inspection. This fix seems to be working great for me. Now when shifting from park to drive or reverse, it feels tight again, like it used to be. No more slop.

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Had the same problem with my 06 DC 4x4...Column shifter developed a lot of play/slop. Took lower knee pad/cover off to access shift mechanism and noticed the same missing bushing. Took some measurements and had the guys at work make me a Delran bushing to replace the brittle nylon one that was now missing. Crazy to have to buy a $180 cable for this part.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem with my 06 DC 4x4...Column shifter developed a lot of play/slop. Took lower knee pad/cover off to access shift mechanism and noticed the same missing bushing. Took some measurements and had the guys at work make me a Delran bushing to replace the brittle nylon one that was now missing. Crazy to have to buy a $180 cable for this part.
Are u able to give me the specs for the bushing. Having the same problem and in Hawaii they want $300 for the whole cable bushing repair kit.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm going to buy that Dorman Help! kit 13341 and fix my sloppy shifter. I will let everyone know how this goes. It seems like in the last month it has suddenly gotten horrible. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Okay... I went to Advance Auto and purchased two Dorman Help! kits.
14055 was for the bushing for the shift linkage. It required me to trim down one end with a blade so that the shifter cable would slide over the bushing once it was fully pushed onto the stud.
13441 Push Nuts - I don't know how the other guy earlier in this thread got it to work... Of the 5 sizes, none were even close. I gave up and will have to eat the cost of this kit.
Total cost @ $16 - I think that the bushing kit was $11.00 which was worth it.

To hold the cable onto the stud, I used a small cotter pin. It works just fine. Very little play - nothing like it was before. It was horrible. Great thread and great forum.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you want to save a few bucks and just have someone make a replacement bushing, here are the measurements:

OD .433" or 11mm
ID .3" or 7.6mm
Width .355" or 9MM Wide

Had mine made out of Delran which machines very easily. You can probably use nylon or uhmw poly but not sure how easy those are to machine out as the part is kind of small.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts