Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toyota bug deflector finally fell off, so I got an after market that bolts between the grill and hood. Since this I have heard and seen the hood rattling on the highway. It may have been doing this for a while... but I've taken notice recently. My question is... does the metal hood latch clamp down on the metal bar, welded to the hood, or is there supposed to be a sleeve, of some kind, on the metal bar? I've got a piece of an O2 cannula taped to the bar as a temp fix... seems to woork great so far. (just did that today)

·
Registered
739 Posts
open your hood, look on the body of the truck for two rubber bumpstops where the hood would rest if you closed it. twist them counter-clockwise about a quarter of a turn. Try that out, if your hood is still loose try turning them out a little more.

Josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
open your hood, look on the body of the truck for two rubber bumpstops where the hood would rest if you closed it. twist them counter-clockwise about a quarter of a turn. Try that out, if your hood is still loose try turning them out a little more.

Josh
Thanks Josh,
I did do that, to the point of the hood being a 1/4 inch higher than the quarter pannels... but it still shook at highway speed.:confused:

·
Registered
739 Posts
Check the hinge to hood bolts? And check the slop in the hinge where it mounts to the actual truck. So open hood and shake side to side to see the play in the hinge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the hinge to hood bolts? And check the slop in the hinge where it mounts to the actual truck. So open hood and shake side to side to see the play in the hinge.
I checked all that.... The slop is coming from the hood latch. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worn out, or if a plastic bushing is missing.

Do any other Tundra owners out there have loose hoods? If you have an 02 ya better go out and check.

While the hood is closed, push down gently towards the front of the hood. Do you feel that motion?? That's not good. Now we have to figure out a fix.

Does anyone have any ideas that work... besides electrical tape around the hood post?! I want a long term fix.:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts