Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 with original Toyota 16815 CD/Tape Stereo. The knob for power/volume is loose. While it still works and I have to pull outward to change the volume, I'd like to repair the knob pretty similar to what is going on in this video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7iRVeg84Tc

I have attempted to pull the knob off but it will not budge and I'm afraid of applying too much force and really messing it up. Before you ask, I don't have any desire to replace the stereo I would just like to repair this small issue on an otherwise working unit. Has anyone else had the same issue and been able to remove the knob? Does it really come off or is it permanently attached? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Drill it, tap it, put a set screw in it!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well yeah if I didn't care about breaking something and now it's stuck on or at a loud volume etc. Just curious if this is really designed to pull off like other stereos or if anyone knows if this is a set piece that isn't removable. I don't want to create a bunch of work for myself if I don't have to. In that video I posted it seems like there is an easy fix if it's truly set up like that and to me that'd be the best option.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi if you can look at the side of the knob. look for a alan key, or similar. i never seen a knob that wouldn't come off. you might want to remove the radio to get a better look, instead of causing a nightmare for yourself. look on ebay if you see any of your type of radio's for sale. if there is 1, ask the seller. or post a picture of your radio here. i am sure someone has to have the exact 1. gl gorilla

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I pulled out that stereo... I tugged as hard as I dared and couldn't get the knob off. There are no set screws or anything. Pulled the faceplate off to get a better look and, interestingly, the knobs come off with it, along with the entire display and everything. It turns out the "faceplate" carries all the switches and knobs, display, and a big old circuit board of its own. It looks like all the brains are there and then the body just contains the mechanicals of the cassette, CD, etc :).

Anyway, I unscrewed the circuit board and other than exposing where the knob's electronics are soldered down, it didn't buy me any more progress. It's either glued on or has a catch that is stronger than what I'm willing to tug against its base.

Sorry I couldn't help any more. [FWIW, said stereo is available (to you, Quahogboy, or to anyone else on the forum) for the price of shipping and some beer money.]

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Why would anyone still have the original stereo? That thing is a piece of crap. I'm on my 1st aftermarket HD stereo head unit and may be going onto a 2nd since the sound cycles between loud/clear and soft/muted.

If I hit the dash or go over a bump in the road, the sound quality will change.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have mine because I have pack rat tendencies and delusions that I'll get around to selling it on ebay or some such, making some $ or at least keeping it out of a landfill. Indeed I pulled a working unit because I wanted Bluetooth and all that jazz.

I gotta admit to laughing a little though hearing in the same post both that nobody should still have the original stereo and that your aftermarket chokes on bumps. My "piece of crap" OE stereo never did that :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2009 tundra. I have to pull volume knob for effective change, only it has worsened and quickly becoming useless. I have removed stereo from truck, removed face plate from box, and now having trouble removing PC board from faceplate. My intention is to examine the volume switch, (potentiometer or pot for short) and determine if I need to repair or replace it.
Does anyone have any experience in separating the PC board from the face plate?
Anyone know where to get another volume knob?
Thanks Y'all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts