Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys i've done some reading and haven't found anyone with quite the exact same set of symptoms that i have so i'm hoping before i go to the dealer that someone might be able to shed some light on what's happening...

first off 2007 DC TRD 4x4 Ltd
i have added a 2" leveling kit to the front and 275/70/18 tires
the tire pressure indicator light has been on since i added the tires and wheels over a yr ago... never gave it much mind per the dealer's saying it was b/c of the different size tires and that was all

ok that being said... i drove all over town yesterday pulling the boat around getting it cleaned up with no events... i go out this morning to get breakfast and my dash looks like a christmas tree...
"VSC OFF" on
"Check Engine" on
"4 LO" flashing
"Tire Pressure" on (as normal)

The truck makes no odd sounds or vibrations and seems to run as normal... EXCEPT... there is a major loss of power... the power seems like its there but its like the transmission is in 4 LO mode but the front tires aren't engaged... I had to come to work tonight so i drove it as nothing seemed majorly amiss except for the 58mph top speed (i live 18 miles from work which is traveled on interstate)... all gages read normal and the truck is of course serviced regularly... any ideas?.. i get the feeling this one might be expensive (45k mi warranty... i just logged 66k)... PLEASE HELP

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the CEL, but on the tire pressure warning do you get the light solid or does it blink for one minute before it goes solid?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try engaging 4 lo. See if it locks and then rock it back and forth, reverse, stop, drive, stop, reverse, etc...Then put it in neutral and go back to 4hi. See if you get power back.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Appears to be in "limp mode". Gotta get the code read that turned your CEL on. My money is on the frigggen AIP's. Hope not though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies... sorry i'm in and out of the office tonight...

no... no braking problems no other lights...

with the tire pressure light... it actually varies... sometimes it will blink for a few seconds but most of the time it comes on solid and stays on... issues related?

this afternoon i put it in 4 hi then drove for a bit then stopped and put it in neutral and tried to engage 4 lo and it would not engage... i'll try the stoping and rocking thing...

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
thanks for the replies... sorry i'm in and out of the office tonight...

no... no braking problems no other lights...

with the tire pressure light... it actually varies... sometimes it will blink for a few seconds but most of the time it comes on solid and stays on... issues related?

this afternoon i put it in 4 hi then drove for a bit then stopped and put it in neutral and tried to engage 4 lo and it would not engage... i'll try the stoping and rocking thing...
If it blinks for one minute then goes solid it means there is a malfunction, ei broken sensor or battery in sensor dead. If it just comes on solid the tire pressure is low compared to the current setting. If it's not blinking read the manual it will tell you how to reset the pressure setting. If it started happening when you got new tires, then my money is on that they broke one when installing tires. That's what happened to me... i think anyway I haven't had it checked out. I hear a ting ting sound sometimes that I think is the sensor bouncing around in the tire.

Also I would suggest disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a while to see if it will reset the CEL and maybe it was a fluke.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
2007 Tundra w 66K miles, dash lit up, and truck is in limp mode?

This sounds exactly like the Air Induction Pump problem that is starting to crop up, usually just as the trucks warranty runs out. It can be a very expensive repair, upwards of $4,000 if both pumps and the valves need to be replaced.

When you have some time (like a week or so), have a read through this thread...
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/181377-air-induction-pump/

The tire pressure indicator is separate issue altogether. It probably just needs to be reset (button under the steering wheel).

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts

This sounds exactly like the Air Induction Pump problem that is starting to crop up, usually just as the trucks warranty runs out. It can be a very expensive repair, upwards of $4,000 if both pumps and the valves need to be replaced.

When you have some time (like a week or so), have a read through this thread...

The tire pressure indicator is separate issue altogether. It probably just needs to be reset (button under the steering wheel).
This is probably the issue...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just to give an update...

i unhooked the battery negative cable in the garage this morning... went to sleep... hooked it back up and drove to work with no issues... hopefully whatever happened is gone... guages looked good no weird vibrations or sounds and drove like the day i bought it... I will keep posted if issues return... thank you guys for the advice... hopefully that's the end of it but i guess we'll see

but id like to get at this tire pressure sensor thing... it blinks at start and then goes solid a bit before the seat belt alarm quits... so bad sensor etc etc... so does anyone know what it might cost and if its easily replaced?

·
Registered
90 Posts
just to give an update...

i unhooked the battery negative cable in the garage this morning... went to sleep... hooked it back up and drove to work with no issues... hopefully whatever happened is gone... guages looked good no weird vibrations or sounds and drove like the day i bought it... I will keep posted if issues return... thank you guys for the advice... hopefully that's the end of it but i guess we'll see

but id like to get at this tire pressure sensor thing... it blinks at start and then goes solid a bit before the seat belt alarm quits... so bad sensor etc etc... so does anyone know what it might cost and if its easily replaced?
About 80 bucks a sensor. The trick is to find out which of the 4 is bad lol

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Cheapest solution is doing the TPMS mod. Find the correct wire at the TPMS module and ground it. The light will never be on. That's what I did because I have aftermarket wheels w/ no sensors.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i'm liking the disable idea... hmmm... i bet i'll do a forum search next

o yea... thanks again for the advise guys

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
I too believe that I have a broken sensor. Is there anyone else out there that can fix this besides the dealer,ie discount tire ect?? I've been thinking I would put some miles on my tires then go to the dealer and play stupid and say the light just started coming on????? Maybe that would work but if not I'm sure they'll kill me in labor to change out one sensor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
please keep the discussion about the tire pressure sensor disabling going but...

to update on the situation... after i posted that the issue was gone... it didn't last (as i honestly expected)... the lights and performance issues were back when i left for home yesterday morning... reset the computers again before leaving for work this afternoon only to have them come back about 10 mins into the 20 min trip to work... so i've scheduled a visit to the dealer (not the original dealer as i'm in a new town due to work)... "service advisor" didn't want to guess too much at what it could be before they had "a chance to look at it"... so i'll update after the visit... not sure if i should be optimistic about getting out of this for a reasonable price

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Good luck man and keep us updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Problem Found: Secondary Air Injection Pump and Valve Assembly
~$2400 quoted to replace

now to investigate possible alternatives

·
Registered
181 Posts
Appears to be in "limp mode". Gotta get the code read that turned your CEL on. My money is on the frigggen AIP's. Hope not though.

When you have some time (like a week or so), have a ***read through this thread***...

Problem Found: Secondary Air Injection Pump and Valve Assembly
~$2400 quoted to replace

Other users gave you good advice ***read through this thread**
AIP issues are a common problem. read the thread and get educated about the problem before you pay a stealership to do the work. Most likley you only need the valve assembly for the side that is causing the problem and not the pump. Disconnecting the battery cable is a temporary solution to the problem but it WILL come back as you've found out.

now to investigate possible alternatives
THERE ARE NONE YET:mad:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Sorry man, I don't know what to say, but you can see about getting an OBDII scanner to reset the codes. That can help you postpone the cost a bit, but honestly there isn't much of an alternative out there until Toyota admits a problem and does a replacement... that day may be a long way off if ever...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts