Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought less then a month ago a used 2011 tundra didn't think anything of it for haven been giving 1 key when purchased.....well now its gone! dealer sales person said wasn't a chipped key, however when I did the paper work she cut my key and said, now when u open the truck, and sit down if I see any lights blink "do not put the key in" so I get in, and low and behold I see a red light with a picture of car with key in center.... from the misc research I did this is bad and expensive correct??? I haven't yet called the dealership yet due to being past hours. just curious of my options or just trust dealership and get it done. 2011 Tundra 5.7 4door long bed

key was found, making a copy tomorrow, not sure how to delete this can only seem to edit

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you just get a key cut that isn't chipped you are still up the creek if you lose your original as it still wont start. Pretty sure you need to buy a chipped key and have it programmed to your truck.
And yeah, I don't know why the original poster cant delete a thread, but I don't believe you can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Transponder key, must be programmed, best option is locksmith. Can range anywhere from $150-$285. If you have no keys at all. Dealership prices vary also but tend to be about $100 more than a locksmith on average, plus you'll need to have it towed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Walmart made me a spare for my 2007 SR5 with transponder (chip) keys for 60 or 70 dollars. It doesn't look like the Toyota original but works fine. If you pull the fuse for the security system I understand you can use a regular key. I haven't tried it but the fuse was pulled when I got my truck (recently), the "red car" never appeared in the info center or whatever it's called, so I replaced the fuse and now the car is there. Walmart restored my headlights nicely too. Went in for TPMs which were missing but must be replaced according to Fed law. Slowly getting the truck back to normal. Had no jack or tools when I bought it either. Of course you can't have a key made unless they have a key to "clone" so you would still be out of luck without a key.

I have the 5.7 so I'm still learning to deal with so much power and learning not to do embarrassing starts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Walmart made me a spare for my 2007 SR5 with transponder (chip) keys for 60 or 70 dollars. It doesn't look like the Toyota original but works fine. If you pull the fuse for the security system I understand you can use a regular key. I haven't tried it but the fuse was pulled when I got my truck (recently), the "red car" never appeared in the info center or whatever it's called, so I replaced the fuse and now the car is there. Walmart restored my headlights nicely too. Went in for TPMs which were missing but must be replaced according to Fed law. Slowly getting the truck back to normal. Had no jack or tools when I bought it either. Of course you can't have a key made unless they have a key to "clone" so you would still be out of luck without a key.

I have the 5.7 so I'm still learning to deal with so much power and learning not to do embarrassing starts.
KennyH, how much did Walmart charge for the TPMs? Were they able to program them to the truck?

I had a local locksmith cut and program a new key for my truck for around $75. They also tried to program some new keyless remotes I bought online, but their machine could not enter the right programming mode. I had to have the dealer do the remote programming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.