Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brandon, Jumbo Jet, and others got me very interested in detailing last summer. I didn't need another hobby or another place to throw money but since I've started I LOVE having my truck looking beautiful.

The end of last summer was my first time using the PC and although I was shy with it my truck came out looking pretty good. After polish I put two coats of FK 1000P on the truck and got some great protection well into the winter. As it goes I suppose, I got the itch to try different things this year and with a nice spring I got to start early.

Two weeks ago after all the prep including polishing with 1Z Einszett red can and Zaino AIO I layed on two coats of Z2 Pro. The truck looked incredible. I took pics but they only showed me that I need to learn to take better pics so I didn't post them. My Silver Sky looked absolutely liquid and the paint looked as though it was melting off the truck. I knew then that I'd only use Z2 in the future. Two weeks later, after two washes and once over's with Z6, the finish is not what it was when freshly done. It's got a buttload of shine and reflectivity but it doesn't have that "pop" that it had. Jumbo posted that Zaino has a sterile look to it and I think his description is spot on. When the wash water hits it. it lights up but once dry and gone over with Z6 it's lifeless in spite of the shine.

Is there anything I could layer over the Z2 that would give it life or am I destined to strip it off in the near future and give something else a whirl? If I strip it off is it really cool to use Dawn as suggested by Zaino?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Zaino is great protection and lasts for months, however the pop kinda dies off after a few washings. I use Z-8 after washes to bring the pop back out. You could always just apply another coat of Z2 every few weeks since you have a PC. I can apply a coat in a matter of minutes, then I detail the interior and by the time I'm finished the Z2 is ready to come off.

You can strip the Zaino off with a quick claying, I would stay away from Dawn.

Heres my Silver Sky with Z2. Prep work was wash/clay, Einszettes Metallic Polish (red can/orange pad, PC on 5), Klasse AIO (white pad, PC on 4) then Z2 (black pad, PC on 4). Very similar to what you did.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, I knew if I was patient you'd be around to help. I thought I had my truck looking pretty good but you just made mine look bad.:laughing3d: It's gotta be my picture taking skills or lack thereof.
I just gave it a quick wash and wiped it down with FK 425. I think the 425 gave it a little better look than the Z7, the Z8 is the one thing I didn't order. I'll probably give it a layer of Z2 every few weeks until I'm ready to clean it off and use 1000p or maybe something else next time. Next picture will be better if it kills me. :D

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
Yeah, I would either add some more Z2, maybe go to Z5 for a deeper shine, or hit it with Z-8. Z-5 and Z-8 is the only thing IMO that is spectacular from the Zaino lineup. You can substitute Z-8 with some Duragloss Aquawax. Same formula, different bottle. Even smells the same.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brandon. I'll hit it with another layer of Z2 with my next wash and try some aquawax too.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you're intent on sticking with the Zaino lineup, your best bet is to apply Z8/DG AW as has been mentioned already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts