Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone look up the vin# for my truck. I don't need the truck history, I know its history because I own it. What I need to know is: if the key had a transponder chip in it and if the truck has the immobilizer system installed. Please help.
vin# 5TBDT48126S511379
Thank you!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I doubt you do too. If anything just go to Walmart real quick, get a key made. They'll probably tell you if it's chipped or not. Either way get them to make you one of their $2 keys. Go out to your truck and try it out. Chances are that it'll turn on like normal.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I doubt you do too. If anything just go to Walmart real quick, get a key made. They'll probably tell you if it's chipped or not. Either way get them to make you one of their $2 keys. Go out to your truck and try it out. Chances are that it'll turn on like normal.
or you can read his post and title...he said he lost the one and only key to the truck. kinda hard to get wally world to make a copy of a key that you dont have now isnt it?

gonna have to go to the dealer anyway so just ask them.

now the real question is why did you only have one key? if you lost one in the past, probally would have been good idea to get another haha.

i'd hate the thought of having only one key for anything.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is a way to get your key code but I really don't want to post it where everyone can see it. Send me an IM if you have not taken care of this yet.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Just bring your vin # and registration to the dealer and they will cut you one. They will be able to pull the key code number.
Are you sure they can do that? When I bought my truck, it came with a poorly cut copy and not the original. The locks and ignition would hang up every once in awhile. I contacted the local dealer, and they said they couldn't cut a new key using the key code and VIN on this model. They could only copy the key I had.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, your key doen't have a chip.
no need to go crazy. the dealership will charge you approximatly 5 to 10 bucks, depending on the key.
if you have a chipped key, like other's, they are expensive.

if your other key starts the tundra, than you do not have a chipped key.

it would only open the door, but will not start the truck.
due to the lack of the chip.

now there are cheaper places.
but the nicer looking 1 ,with the black toyota logo, is a sh%ty key, they brake.
buy a all solid key.
thats most likely why you lost the key, the black logo is plastic, and it brakes easy.
and fell off you key ring.
i got luck, and didn't loose it so i flamed it & melted it with electrical tape.
now it hard as a rock, & works.
but i keep it as my spare.
i use the all steel or whatever it is made of key.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Registered
524 Posts
Are you sure they can do that? When I bought my truck, it came with a poorly cut copy and not the original. The locks and ignition would hang up every once in awhile. I contacted the local dealer, and they said they couldn't cut a new key using the key code and VIN on this model. They could only copy the key I had.
Your dealers an idiot then, cause I have had a locksmith cut the key with a vin code and a dealer do it a few times.

Its easy since it has no chip.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's what I thought. But the parts girl is smokin hot so I let it slide. I haven't had any problems with the one they cut.
Every Toyota I have had ( seven sitting in the driveway now) I have been able to get a key cut with the key code number. The last two cost me $10 a piece. I suggest you call another dealership.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Every Toyota I have had ( seven sitting in the driveway now) I have been able to get a key cut with the key code number. The last two cost me $10 a piece. I suggest you call another dealership.
That's not really an option when the next closest dealer is 180 miles away. I paid $10, they copied the one I had, and I haven't had any problems with it. I was just verifying whether or not they could cut a new one using the key code.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts