Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some big help. I was offroad, went into a small mudhole I have gone through many times (in 2x4) and hit the hole, gave it some gas and just lost it in the rear. Drive shaft is spinning but tires are not. I had to drive home in 4x4 but I plan on bringing it in tomorrow. Any ideas on what I did? or how much it could be to fix? Thanks

01 4x4 Tundra 2.5" lift on 33's

·
Registered
189 Posts
Maybe you sheared the teeth off of the ring gear. Or possibly snapped an axle. Do you have an LSD or locker?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hey guys, I need some big help. I was offroad, went into a small mudhole I have gone through many times (in 2x4) and hit the hole, gave it some gas and just lost it in the rear. Drive shaft is spinning but tires are not. I had to drive home in 4x4 but I plan on bringing it in tomorrow. Any ideas on what I did? or how much it could be to fix? Thanks

01 4x4 Tundra 2.5" lift on 33's
james, im gonna post what i told you i thought it was today for others to see if they agree! I believe that since he hasn't done the rear diff breather extension....that he has gotten water in his rear diff and we all know water and gear oil doesnt mix!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
sounds like a blown out rear end to me. this happened to me twice, the first time it was the spider gears that were destroyed.....cost about $1600 to fix.....the second time, i dont know for sure but the same thing probably happened with the spider gears. thats when i upgraded my axles.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah guys, my rear end is gone. A new one 1500, used 1100, or another with 67k miles for 800 (all installed and everything). What do you all think? Is going with a used unit a good idea? Also, any upgrades (LSD) in that price range? thanks guys

TRD Limited Slip Differential
what ya'll think about this?

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Yeah guys, my rear end is gone. A new one 1500, used 1100, or another with 67k miles for 800 (all installed and everything). What do you all think? Is going with a used unit a good idea? Also, any upgrades (LSD) in that price range? thanks guys

TRD Limited Slip Differential
what ya'll think about this?
I would suggest new with a locker of some sort. Plus the breather mod.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey guys i decided to go with the 800$ used with 67k miles on it 6 month warranty. I hope that's the right choice(i didn't want to spend a fortune). However, I am worried this will happen again, what is the life span of these things? I go offroad probably a few times a month on trails, and drive through fields at the farm. Also, does loading the bed (ton of fertilizer for example) hurt these any more? Any stronger axles or anything? Thanks sorry for so many questions

·
Registered
10 Posts
what's your ratio I have a set of 3.90 with 5,000 miles on them. Front and rear for $375.00, or just the rear for $250.00. They looked better than the new ones i had put in. let me know if you are interested, matt

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
hey guys i decided to go with the 800$ used with 67k miles on it 6 month warranty. I hope that's the right choice(i didn't want to spend a fortune). However, I am worried this will happen again, what is the life span of these things? I go offroad probably a few times a month on trails, and drive through fields at the farm. Also, does loading the bed (ton of fertilizer for example) hurt these any more? Any stronger axles or anything? Thanks sorry for so many questions
after i had mine fixed the first time, i had about 13 people in the bed of my truck. as i started through a parking lot it started to clunk and jump like it did when it blew out, but when everyone got out, it was fine. and this was about a week after i got it fixed. so be careful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what's your ratio I have a set of 3.90 with 5,000 miles on them. Front and rear for $375.00, or just the rear for $250.00. They looked better than the new ones i had put in. let me know if you are interested, matt

i sent you a pm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts