Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my first oil change myself the other day - 11,500 miles on my 08 double cab TRD- I bought in last December. I live in Salt Lake, so I am all too aware of how important it is to keep my undercarriage clean from all the salt that is dumped on the roads in the winter. My Tundra has a significant amount of rust on many areas including the frame. Granted most of it is superficial at this point, but if I can't keep it under control at 11K it is going to get ugly later. I just sold a car that I had for 6 years that might have has less rust down there.... anyone else have this problem????
Thanks

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
If you are worried about the rust.. get the frame rails line-x'ed and you won't have to look back ever after that.

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Post some pics.... I want to compare them to the ones that are in my album. When I took it to the Stealership, they wouldn't do anything with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I lived in Erie Pa my whole life up until a year ago. Yeah the rust belt capitol of the US. My Silverado had barly any paint left on the rear axle after 2 winters. Living in Tennessee now there is not a spec of rust on my Tundra:biggrin1:

Like others have said if you are worried about it I would wire wheel it and get some undercoating on it.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
My entire undercarriage is fully rust covered. That's after I paid $600.00 to the dealership for "extra rustproofing", one of my less brilliant moves.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Same here - 08 at 28k miles and only 1 1/2 mild winters in PA the frame looks bad - Boy, my BMW held up much better even in upstate NY winters. My opinion: Toyota need to do better on those frames rust protection ! Truck is still fun, rusty or not - I wouldn´t trade for anything else.

·
Registered
198 Posts
One of the best products on the market is POR-15 for rust remediation. It's a tedious process but I can attest that it works great.
The tedious process involves degreasing your parts, I usually stock up on brake cleaner and use that along with a good degreaser like simple green to use after the brake cleaner. They say not to use any solvent based prdcuts to clean and suggest using their marine clean, but I have not seen any adverse effects.Wire bursh off the heavy spots to the bare metal if you can get at it.
Hose it down and let it get a surface rust to it over a few days.
Use the POR-15 metal etcher (metal ready), apply it for about 15-20 minutes and keep it wet over that time period using a sponge or spray bottle.
Rinse again to get off the residual etcher and paint.
http://www.por15.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not having any issues with rust on my Tundra but i once owned a rustbucket '77 Z car that lived most of it's life up north. I used a product from Mar-Hyde (purchsed from my local NAPA dealer I think) for inhibiting rust. It went on thin, like spraypaint. On most surfaces, like paint or bare metal, it dried clear. But on rust it turned black and inhibited any further corosion. There were way too many nooks & crannies to get all the rust off, this was the best solution I could find. Since it dried clear overspray wasn't a big problem, and unlike most undercoatings from a spray can I've tried, it didn't seem to need a lot of preparation. I like the idea of Line-X'ing the underside, not sure if any dealers are set up to do that thought.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in upstate NY and just bought a Tundra 2 weeks ago. This thread motivated me to get it undercoated. The dealership recommended a place where they get it done, I called and made an appointment $200.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I was doing my first oil change myself the other day - 11,500 miles on my 08 double cab TRD- I bought in last December. I live in Salt Lake, so I am all too aware of how important it is to keep my undercarriage clean from all the salt that is dumped on the roads in the winter. My Tundra has a significant amount of rust on many areas including the frame. Granted most of it is superficial at this point, but if I can't keep it under control at 11K it is going to get ugly later. I just sold a car that I had for 6 years that might have has less rust down there.... anyone else have this problem????
Thanks
Lets see some pics if you can.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Dang, I feel for you guys that have to deal with the snow and salt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts