Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically I took my tundra offroading today and got kinda caught in the moment and plowed through some bushes, it was pretty fun but left TONS of small scratches all over my truck I washed it and they weren't as bad but I can still see them, I think im gonna get some meguires ultimate compound and some wax and goin at it, I was gonna take it somewhere but decided to do it myself, any advice on techniques? products? should I do the whole truck with the compound? its got 216 on it and the paints kinda faded and dull im thinking it could probably use it, and advice or info will be greatly appreciated. Or if theres already a thread like this ide appreciate it if youd give me the link, I looked but couldn't find any about scratches, I dont have a digital camera but my friend does and if he lets me use it ill post some pics, hopefully before and after ones.

Dalton

·
Registered
524 Posts
Rubbing compound, then polishing compound, followed by a good wax might cure it. Might also want to look into meguiers or similar scratch remover.

If the scratches can be felt with your fingernail-they wont buff out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news! got some meguires ultimate compound and some wax and buffed it all out! and the trucks paint looks better then before i got the scratches!, i dont think ive ever waxed this truck, it made a huge difference, im kinda glad i got the scratches in a way haha

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good news! got some meguires ultimate compound and some wax and buffed it all out! and the trucks paint looks better then before i got the scratches!, i dont think ive ever waxed this truck, it made a huge difference, im kinda glad i got the scratches in a way haha
I wish I had a digital camera to take some pics of it, it hasn't looked this good in a while

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't think it would if you have never waxed it:D!!

John

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
A good foam pad buffer does indeed do wonders on small scratches.

My first Tundra was a black 2003 and the previous owner went camping in the woods and managed to scratch the sides with branches and such. I got a good price reduction because of it.

I used a very tiny paint brush and black paint ( with acetone added to it for more fluidity) to carefully add paint where the scratches were too deep to be buffed. I had to do it layer by layer until the scratches were filled with paint and maybe the new paint was a little bit higher than the old paint.

It took me a while but once the cracks were filled with paint, I buffed the whole truck really well and could never see the scratches anymore.

I sold the truck 1 year after I bought it for $3,000 more than I had paid for it.

Patience does pay sometimes.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I go to the desert pretty often and always get scratches. I've learned to live with them and they really don't bother me. My wife does like to wax the truck a couple times a year. I generously help her remove the residue. She drove the truck for the first time in the 5 years I've had it today. She drove my 76 Blazer sometimes, but she doesn't want to ding my truck. I'm in the process of destroying her Acura (not intentionally) so maybe she'll get even? I had 2 Epidural shots in my back with local Anesth today and didn't feel like driving afterward.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hello, good find, points given. ;-):tu::)
gorilla

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A good foam pad buffer does indeed do wonders on small scratches.

My first Tundra was a black 2003 and the previous owner went camping in the woods and managed to scratch the sides with branches and such. I got a good price reduction because of it.

I used a very tiny paint brush and black paint ( with acetone added to it for more fluidity) to carefully add paint where the scratches were too deep to be buffed. I had to do it layer by layer until the scratches were filled with paint and maybe the new paint was a little bit higher than the old paint.

It took me a while but once the cracks were filled with paint, I buffed the whole truck really well and could never see the scratches anymore.

I sold the truck 1 year after I bought it for $3,000 more than I had paid for it.

Patience does pay sometimes.
Yep I used a foam pad on a pos turtle wax brand orbital, for being so cheap it worked surprisingly well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I go to the desert pretty often and always get scratches. I've learned to live with them and they really don't bother me. My wife does like to wax the truck a couple times a year. I generously help her remove the residue. She drove the truck for the first time in the 5 years I've had it today. She drove my 76 Blazer sometimes, but she doesn't want to ding my truck. I'm in the process of destroying her Acura (not intentionally) so maybe she'll get even? I had 2 Epidural shots in my back with local Anesth today and didn't feel like driving afterward.
This was the first time I took this truck in the desert, I have a 89 c1500 I use to mob around in the desert, did pretty well for being 1 tire fire and completely stock, took it through some pretty soft sand and whoops a little ruff through the whoops but did alright, just kept my momentum up, I was surprised it did so well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
embrace the desert striping!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You should post pictures to show what you did. Like before and after pics :)
Yeah I dont have a digital camera right now, but ill take some with my 2.0 megapixel camera phone, there not gonna look great! the phone has been in the lake and is full of sand! theres sand in between my screen and case and in about any other crack and is beat up in general, but ill take pics!

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I just discovered Scratch x thanks to the forum. Great product! -removed a few big unsightly scratches by hand that my old polishing compund could not touch. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi no matter what choise you have in scratch remover, please make sure it's clear coat safe.
3M makes a great scratch remover, also good go headlights.
bird dropping use never dull on them, they disappear.
use dryer sheets for bugs, used or new, no more bug nets, that can scratch your paint.
they melt away.
i've been doing this for over 30+years.
i never just wax a vehicle. polish/ seal & wax, is the best way.
unless you do have the time to clay your vehicle, than do what i said polish/seal & wax.
whatever wax you like, use.
at least it's waxed. are there better waxes ,yes. zymol has a wax it cost's, $30,000. look it up.
we all have options, & whatever you like & it works use.
you can never wax the paint off your vehicle. the more you wax the better it's protected.
no such thing as wax build up, that is why it's looks bad.
always use wash & wax, as a wash. it's no way a real wax job, but it has a shine.
that lasts to your next wash. but no protection, like a real hand wax.
gorilla

·
Registered
754 Posts
you can never wax the paint off your vehicle. the more you wax the better it's protected.
no such thing as wax build up, that is why it's looks bad.
at the same time your car can only handle so much wax and if you think if you keep putting on more wax the more you are protected thats not the case. The material on the car can handle so much wax and be done with.....

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
at the same time your car can only handle so much wax and if you think if you keep putting on more wax the more you are protected thats not the case. The material on the car can handle so much wax and be done with.....
Both you and Gorilla are wrong and right at the same time. Adding multiple layers of wax or sealant provides extra gloss *AND* protection. However, adding over 3-4 layers of anything is a waste of time.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Both you and Gorilla are wrong and right at the same time. Adding multiple layers of wax or sealant provides extra gloss *AND* protection. However, adding over 3-4 layers of anything is a waste of time.
would you like to prove that :) :tu: multiple layers does not add extra gloss beyond 2 coats of wax itself. Here is a test for you which I have done myself and proved to myself already the multiple coats theory on higher gloss. Keep your car in your garage and wax one part of your hood the two layers or single layer that you want. Now next day (after the wax had time to settle) wax one part of the hood (left or right your choice) and look at it clearly and convince yourself that one is better than the other and do this again if your not convinced put multiple coats on the same side over and over.

I used to be those guys at autopia.net (or org I forgot) where about 5 years WE believed up to 10 coats of a wax improved the shine we kept our cars in the garage doing this daily adding wax it did not add extra gloss one bit and protection since your metal can only hold so much.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
would you like to prove that :) :tu: multiple layers does not add extra gloss beyond 2 coats of wax itself. Here is a test for you which I have done myself and proved to myself already the multiple coats theory on higher gloss. Keep your car in your garage and wax one part of your hood the two layers or single layer that you want. Now next day (after the wax had time to settle) wax one part of the hood (left or right your choice) and look at it clearly and convince yourself that one is better than the other and do this again if your not convinced put multiple coats on the same side over and over.

I used to be those guys at autopia.net (or org I forgot) where about 5 years WE believed up to 10 coats of a wax improved the shine we kept our cars in the garage doing this daily adding wax it did not add extra gloss one bit and protection since your metal can only hold so much.
Its common knowledge among detailers that with certain products (FK100P, Ultima, UPP) need 3-4 applications to reveal the perfect gloss and protection. Dont need a test, I have seen it myself.

Doing one layer is fine, but 2-4 layers is best for maximum coverage, gloss, and durability.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts