Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really bad metal clanking sound going over hard bumps, as a result I just recently did my front struts, upper ball joints and CV axles. After I did the struts the noise mostly went away but i still hear it over big bumps.

Any ideas? I was thinking control arms but I'm not sure. It's got 270,000 miles on it and most of the suspension parts are original other than what I've done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a really bad metal clanking sound going over hard bumps, as a result I just recently did my front struts, upper ball joints and CV axles. After I did the struts the noise mostly went away but i still hear it over big bumps.

Any ideas? I was thinking control arms but I'm not sure. It's got 270,000 miles on it and most of the suspension parts are original other than what I've done.
Also did sway bar links and bushings. Just forgot to mention

·
Registered
62 Posts
It looks like you think the sound is coming from the front. You don't mention anything about janky steering so probably not wheel bearings. Might be a broken spring. If they break at the end, it might not affect the ride, but the broken piece will make a racket. Could also be something strange like a motor mount, lose skid plate, loose exhaust, or even the spare tire not stowed all the way.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Has a "recently replaced" by a shop sway bar bolt come loose and had the same symptoms. Had to remove a wheel, put frame on jack stand and using a floor jack under the hub was able to easily maneuver everything into position. Chap

·
Registered
10 Posts
check your swaybar links ,most the time iy you
double check your sway bar links, drive slow and rock the steering wheel left and right abruptly see if you hear something ,most of the time after market sway bar link will make noise

·
Registered
3 Posts

In a similar situation now with my 300k 03 Sequoia. Mostly original front end stuff on mine and planning on replacing all the same stuff as you mentioned. I did take to dealership as I like to use factory parts. They said my lower a arm bushings are deteriorating. I plan on adding those to my list as well as the lower ball joint. From what I can gather the lower a arm bushing replacement is a PITA so will most likely just get the factory ones with bushings already installed. Good luck and let us know what quiets your clanking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Limited 2WD with a 4.7L and I’m not sure if this applies to all models and years of the first gen Tundras but there was a factory recall on my lower ball joints. I’m only telling you this because if you’re planning on replacing those as well, then you might want to check into this first. You could save yourself some money and time

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced my sway bar links a year ago but just did the links (under warranty) a second time last week. I heard a metal on metal sound but did not think to check the links since I had already replaced them. I finally figured it out by sliding underneath and rocking the truck side to side by grabbing the transmission frame. It was a relief when I triangulated to the source of the sound! Of course... all 4 tires were on the ground when I did this rocking motion. A tight fit but it helped troubleshoot this.

Interestingly, the replacement links had been redesigned.

Turns out that the flat-sided washer (on the lower link), used to hold against while tightening the nut, had broken loose. This allowed the nut to loosen. I was hearing the threads dragging against the mounting hole.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts