Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new here and was wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this.

I am getting a loud vibration noise when I hit in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range. It appears to be coming from underneath the drivers section of vehicle.

It only happens when actually driving. Not in neutral.

The noise is a consistent buzzing sound. Very noticeable.

I crawled underneath but could not find anything loose.

Anything I can try before taking it to a shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Inspect your exhaust pipe(s) from the headers to the tail. Could be a small hole in the pipe. It can be hard to locate if the hole is on the top part of the pipe. However, in cold weather, you should be able to see exhaust coming from the hole while vehicle is running. Depending on where it is and size of the hole, could be a cheap and easy fix!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
I am new here and was wondering if anyone knows how I can fix this.

I am getting a loud vibration noise when I hit in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range. It appears to be coming from underneath the drivers section of vehicle.
I have the exact same vibration in my 2003. Been trying to diagnose for over a year now.
Mines worst from 1500-2000 RPM's. Doesn't matter if the trans is in TC lockup or not.
4WD, same exact result. No change.

I thought it was maybe the carrier bearing too, replaced with new, no change. Lubed all the u-joints and the driveshaft.
Up front there's all new suspension components.

Not sure if its exhaust, trans or drive-line related.
Has nothing to do with road speed, just RPM under load (wont do it in neutral).
Makes the drivers floor buzz and sounds kind of like exhaust drone? Kinda? Exhaust is stock exhaust.
Transmission shifts beautifully and doesnt make any other suspicious noises.

Thinking it was exhaust drone, I even made my own helmholtz resonator and welded it on in the usual place. Not much change. Maybe a little quieter?
Right now I think its probably exhaust related. Maybe cat clogged or something.
Lot of other forum posters here over the years describing the same symptoms, but I have yet to find a resolution or even a point in the right direction.

Please let me know if you figure it out!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used 4 GM exhaust weights. Two at the crossover bend on the left cat pipe and two on the joint were the left cat bolts to the resonator Y. The floor vibration and drone are now gone!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I used 4 GM exhaust weights. Two at the crossover bend on the left cat pipe and two on the joint were the left cat bolts to the resonator Y. The floor vibration and drone are now gone!!
Woah! What?! You did what now??!
What GM exhaust weights did you use and where did you get them!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM DAMPENER - GM (10199232). I had two laying around and made the other set out of 1 1/2" solid stock. Google-- exhaust drone damper or weight. Look at images you will get the idea. 2 will fit on one exhaust clamp. You can try different locations until the drone and vibration are eliminated.
I have done this several times over the years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts