Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vibration is intermittent and starts at around 38 to 42 mph if I let off of the gas or accelerate it will go away. It doesn't always do it. The truck has 175,000 miles on it so I first tried replacing shocks and struts since it had the sensation of a bouncing wheel. Next I took it to the dealer since I had an airbag recall to get done anyway and had them balance and rotate the tires. I also requested that they try to diagnose the problem but they didn't even look at it. I took it to and independent shop I trust and they checked it out and said they could not find anything wrong with the front end or suspension. They suggested that I replace the plugs and any coils where the plugs looked suspicious. That did not help either all looked good but plugs were replaced. They also said it might be something in the transmission. My gut feeling is it is it is something in the driveline. On a visible inspection all looks fine. The carrier bearing has some play but I have heard this is normal play in the rubber boot. The u-joints look ok but with no grease fittings and 175K miles I would think they might be getting dry. Would dry but not completely failed u-joints cause something like this or could it still be the carrier bearing? I'm thinking about having the u-joints and carrier bearing replaced due to mileage just to see if that fixes the problem. Can anyone think of something else to try before I start digging into the transmission? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
I think that if the U-Joints have never been replaced just on that situation U-joints should be done. That may not fix your
current problem but it certainly will prevent the next one.
Larry

Reactions: len619 and bschultz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have stock, or after market wheels? If your rims are after market and they are not hub centric, that can cause vibrations. Usually hub rings are installed with new rims , but I've seen them omitted just as often

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have stock, or after market wheels? If your rims are after market and they are not hub centric, that can cause vibrations. Usually hub rings are installed with new rims , but I've seen them omitted just as often
No, the truck is completely stock. No aftermarket wheels or lift kits etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The vibration is intermittent and starts at around 38 to 42 mph if I let off of the gas or accelerate it will go away. It doesn't always do it. The truck has 175,000 miles on it so I first tried replacing shocks and struts since it had the sensation of a bouncing wheel. Next I took it to the dealer since I had an airbag recall to get done anyway and had them balance and rotate the tires. I also requested that they try to diagnose the problem but they didn't even look at it. I took it to and independent shop I trust and they checked it out and said they could not find anything wrong with the front end or suspension. They suggested that I replace the plugs and any coils where the plugs looked suspicious. That did not help either all looked good but plugs were replaced. They also said it might be something in the transmission. My gut feeling is it is it is something in the driveline. On a visible inspection all looks fine. The carrier bearing has some play but I have heard this is normal play in the rubber boot. The u-joints look ok but with no grease fittings and 175K miles I would think they might be getting dry. Would dry but not completely failed u-joints cause something like this or could it still be the carrier bearing? I'm thinking about having the u-joints and carrier bearing replaced due to mileage just to see if that fixes the problem. Can anyone think of something else to try before I start digging into the transmission? Thanks in advance for your help.
I would have the disc brake rotors checked for thickness, I have that and if balancing the wheels does not resolve then consid replacing brake rotors and more so if they have been turned by a previous owner.

check the lower control arm bushings.

when you get to 37MPH, hit passing gear to jump to 43...:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would have the disc brake rotors checked for thickness, I have that and if balancing the wheels does not resolve then consid replacing brake rotors and more so if they have been turned by a previous owner.

check the lower control arm bushings.

when you get to 37MPH, hit passing gear to jump to 43...:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds to me like the Torque Converter clutch engagement is the issue. Either

the clutch is Chattering or the change in load is is causing an engine chuggle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The TCC engages at 35-45 mph depending on many factors... But will disengage upon increase/ decrease throttle or when brake pedal is applied. Try driving in 3 at the same speed and see if vibration goes away

·
Registered
2010 Tundra 5.7 2WD
2 Posts
I had a similar situation with my 2010 Tundra. I checked carrier bearing, u-joints, had tires checked and rotors. Turned out it was the rear wheel bearings. Mine had 185,000 miles when this occurred. This might not be your problem, but it might be worth checking out. My mechanic drove it and diagnosed it correctly immediately, free of charge. It cost me around $450. The bearings and the required assembly is a bit more expensive than a standard wheel bearing. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts