Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer today and finally was able to see a Tundra Crewmax 4wd and noticed the tow receiver/ball hitch is mounted very low on this truck. I have a Crewmax SR5 TRD 4wd on order and due in next month. I have duck boat which I will be pulling and was wondering what are my options are regarding raising the ball mount. My trailer is fairly low as it is, and right now I believe my trailer will be nose down hooked up to the Tundra. I find this interesting as big as this truck is how low the receiver is. I have been told I can turn the ball mount up and gain some (is it rated for this?), but thought I would post up and see what other possiblities are out there. Do they make aftermarket ball mounts which are higher? Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Take your ball off your receiver hitch and flip it over (if you have one) I just did for it for my 4x2 limited and pull a 20' Grady with Tandem Trailer...my trailer is perfectly level.

Would be surprised if u need to do this for a 4x4...

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I had to do the same thing. The Tundra was sitting lower than my old 3/4 ton truck once my 6000lb. trailer was hooked up and the tongue sat so low I couldnt get the wheel jack down. My hitch insert has many adjustments on it so I just flipped over the ball mount and went up one pin and the trailer sits perfectly level now. Back of the truck hardly drops at all now.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I had to do the same thing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a 4x4 and had to turn my ball mount over for proper elevation. If that doesn't do you then you can buy a ball mount with a more severe drop and flip that one over, too. There is no differentiation between load capacities of the mount whether droped down or turned up. The hitch tension load from the trailer tongue will have an equivalent moment arm offset from the hitch centerline, with any resulting bending loads in the hitch being the same, albeit "drop down" tension will become "drop up" compression and "drop down" compression will become "drop up" tension. The hitch and ball mounts are well designed for this. When it comes to tongue load capacity this only affects the ball mount which is a weldment. Here again if you look at the design, if the mount is flipped up there is the same amount and type of welds loaded in the same way as in a drop-down configuration.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was at the dealer today and finally was able to see a Tundra Crewmax 4wd and noticed the tow receiver/ball hitch is mounted very low on this truck. I have a Crewmax SR5 TRD 4wd on order and due in next month. I have duck boat which I will be pulling and was wondering what are my options are regarding raising the ball mount. My trailer is fairly low as it is, and right now I believe my trailer will be nose down hooked up to the Tundra. I find this interesting as big as this truck is how low the receiver is. I have been told I can turn the ball mount up and gain some (is it rated for this?), but thought I would post up and see what other possiblities are out there. Do they make aftermarket ball mounts which are higher? Thanks.
I'm a towing novice so I found this article helpful: Trailer Hitch - Choosing the Right Ballmount. I did the measurements and then went to the store to pick up a new ball mount with the required drop/rise that I calculated.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm a towing novice so I found this article helpful: Trailer Hitch - Choosing the Right Ballmount. I did the measurements and then went to the store to pick up a new ball mount with the required drop/rise that I calculated.
It seems there is a bit of info missing from that article. If you are towing a trailer with any amount tongue weight (TW) you need to take that into account. EG: If you have a trailer with 800 pounds TW you will need less drop than a trailer with 100 pounds TW. If you don't the weight will drop the back of the truck and the trailer will not sit close to level. That has been my experience anyway.

The good thing is you probably have buddies with reciever hitches that you can try out with your trailer. See what you need and then buy the proper one. Good luck!

·
Registered
820 Posts
if you flip the receiver hitch upside down and mount the ball does that keep the back end of your truck from sagging as much?:ts:

·
Registered
820 Posts
i saw that today in a cabelas truck accessory mag. looks cool but pretty pricey

·
Registered
152 Posts
That looks interesting. I'm wondering if they can use a locking pin on the adjustable part to help avoid theft...:confused:

I have had it on my truck for two years now and it still there. I guess you could lock the hitch in and just put the ball part in your truck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts