Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had this happen?

I've read the threads about the actual lower ball joints breaking off and the recall about those but have never read anything that said the actual bolts ripped off.

Yesterday while off roading the lower ball joint separated from the spindle.
one of the bolts remained bolted on but was ripped off, The other three nowhere to be seen. The threads on the spindle appeared to be fine.

Just some info, i replaced the driver side lower ball joint three weeks ago and decided to use the original bolts instead of the bolts that came with the NAPA lower ball joint. i torqued them to the specs mentioned on the lower ball joint DIY thread but im wondering how the hell these fell out and have thread left. Can bolts like these vibrate off if they became lose? possibly leaving all the work to that one bolt that was still there and causing it to fail? Im still puzzled as to how this happened. When i went back to work on it i installed the new bolts that came with the kit with some heavy duty locktite.

the wheel came off while i was driving on flat dirt ground. the wheel fell outward but the camburg UCA kept it from completely separating.

It was a pain, no tow truck wanted to go out there so i had to call out at work to go back and fix it in the summer heat. the only thing was that i could not get the CV shaft to lock in there and drove it slowly to the closest mechanic because it was a pain in the ass trying to get it to snap in there. Another crappy thing is that my driver side fender got the crap beat out of it while supporting the weight of the truck. Anyone know a place or salvage site to begin my search for a flared fender of the same color?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Was your truck involved in the recall for lower ball joints? Has the passenger side been replaced? What torque did you use on the original replacement? What kinda loctite did you use? Was the threads on the 4 bolts clean and dry before you torqued them the second time?

·
Registered
234 Posts
You did something wrong with the install. Napa included the bolts for a reason. They may be an interference fit thread just
like the exhaust manifold nuts are. The factory manual gives clear notes on when a fastener is to be replaced instead of reused.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Has anyone ever had this happen?

I've read the threads about the actual lower ball joints breaking off and the recall about those but have never read anything that said the actual bolts ripped off.

Yesterday while off roading the lower ball joint separated from the spindle.
one of the bolts remained bolted on but was ripped off, The other three nowhere to be seen. The threads on the spindle appeared to be fine.

Just some info, i replaced the driver side lower ball joint three weeks ago and decided to use the original bolts instead of the bolts that came with the NAPA lower ball joint. i torqued them to the specs mentioned on the lower ball joint DIY thread but im wondering how the hell these fell out and have thread left. Can bolts like these vibrate off if they became lose? possibly leaving all the work to that one bolt that was still there and causing it to fail? Im still puzzled as to how this happened. When i went back to work on it i installed the new bolts that came with the kit with some heavy duty locktite.

the wheel came off while i was driving on flat dirt ground. the wheel fell outward but the camburg UCA kept it from completely separating.

It was a pain, no tow truck wanted to go out there so i had to call out at work to go back and fix it in the summer heat. the only thing was that i could not get the CV shaft to lock in there and drove it slowly to the closest mechanic because it was a pain in the ass trying to get it to snap in there. Another crappy thing is that my driver side fender got the crap beat out of it while supporting the weight of the truck. Anyone know a place or salvage site to begin my search for a flared fender of the same color?
Something similar happened to another member on here a few years ago. He had pics, and it showed 1 or 2 bolts sheared off. Probably you didn't torque them properly. Many people at the time mentioned using Loc Tite on those just to be safe. It's shouldn't be too unusual to remove those bolts, most people do that just to install new coilovers (makes lining up the lower shock bolt easier). Sorry to hear about the damage.
/Mike

·
Registered
435 Posts
Something similar happened to another member on here a few years ago. He had pics, and it showed 1 or 2 bolts sheared off. Probably you didn't torque them properly. Many people at the time mentioned using Loc Tite on those just to be safe. It's shouldn't be too unusual to remove those bolts, most people do that just to install new coilovers (makes lining up the lower shock bolt easier). Sorry to hear about the damage.
/Mike
I too am wondering if lack of loctight played a roll.

A few years ago a Tacoma guy i wheel with had the same problem. His driver side gave way while out wheeling. I loaned him one from each side of my Tundra (yes they fit) so he could have two bolts per side. He was able to limp most of the way home. Once on pavement the loaner bolts eventually broke anyway. His theory is his bolts backed out, then when there were two left they broke. The threads in his spindle were fine. I change my bolts out form time to time as they are relatively cheap even from the dealer.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, everyone that like's to play with there truck, bike, boat, etc, no matter what you choose to do,
will in fact cause you to shorten the life of parts & or your truck, etc.

i had a few pick-up truck's-4X4's, my son already had 2 pick-up's.
we ruined perfectly good pick-up's.

thats the cost of having fun.
so maybe you made a mistake, it won't be your last.
live & learn. but don't stop enjoying.
all it does is it costs you some money, & down time.

i assume we all know the risk's, but they will never out weigh
the fun time. the smile's, laugh's are priceless.
boy's just want to have fun,
gorilla

·
Registered
204 Posts
As a jeep guy take it from me any chassis work you do is NOT finished when the jackstands come out. After the first 100 miles you need to be back under your rig checking the torque on all your fastners and again after you hit the trail the 1st time you really stretch things out. Another tip is any part that has more than 1nut/bolt needs to have the torque wrench gone over it at least TWICE

I have no doubt your bolts worked loose resulting in failure.

BTW I saw your post on AR15.com! This makes two of us here.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
hi, everyone that like's to play with there truck, bike, boat, etc, no matter what you choose to do,

You should find a qualified mechanic that knows what they're doing. I've installed a variety of aftermarket parts on several different vehicles and have yet to "ruin" one. In many cases it is a better/stronger part and increases the life of the vehicle. But, whatever dude.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The more i think about it the more i realize how this was user error!! I should have used the new bolts and i should have used loctite the first time! The bolts were clean/dry of any oil/grease and i torqued them to 60ft pounds evenly. Lesson learned, i downloaded the service manual and will now pay more attention to detail such as not using certain parts over again.
I now have all four bolts torqued in there per service manual torque specs with heavy duty loctite. Will check them again at the end of the week to see how they're doing.

My drivers side CV shaft was badly damaged as well and it had to be replaced. I bought another one from NAPA and was surprised that it came with a inner CV boot that fits over the whole(whats the large diameter part called?)shaft just like the 930 CV boots i had on it. Except that these boots stretch more than the 930 boot i was using, they appear alot better.

Hogwild: The truck was recalled for the lower ball joints. A toyota dealership confirmed 4 months ago that they were serviced in 2005.

GORILLA: I defenitly agree! while sitting out there in the miserable AZ heat trying to figure out what to do next i wondered if it was worth it or not. Hell yes considering the amount of good times i've had going out exploring. Stuff will happen no matter what and ill be out there next weekend!! Live in learn. If i want to protect myself from anything bad happening i could stay home and read books all weekend. bahahahaha. Im on my second set of BFGs this year and i've put around 25 thousand miles on my truck this year. and i mostly use it on the weekends.

Krochus: Theres definitly more of us out here, i was directed to this site after i asked what the deal was with spacers. I need to get me a bolt face sticker.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
also, anyone know of a company that makes flared fenders for non-long travel trucks?
dont want them to look ridiculous sticking out like the long travel ones.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You should find a qualified mechanic that knows what they're doing. I've installed a variety of aftermarket parts on several different vehicles and have yet to "ruin" one. In many cases it is a better/stronger part and increases the life of the vehicle. But, whatever dude.

If installed properly it matters not not that a "qualified"* mechanic or a shadetree bolted on the parts. If you're gonna play you're gonna break stuff and if you haven't broken stuff than you're not playing hard enough. Triply so with regards to offroading and chassis parts.

In many cases all you do when "upgrading" a component is move the point of failure to another point in the system. The best you can hope for is to raise the overall point of failure to higher levels at which point after awhile you'll rediscover as you take on bigger and more difficult challenges.

ASE certification is a joke! Any one of us could probably pass the test in a day if motivated*

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The FSM i looked at said like 37 Ft Lbs of torque for the 4 bolts and did not mention loctite at all? How tight did you torque the nut with the cotter pin in it? Hey stuff happens and lessons are learned but this type of lesson could have been an issue if you were driving down the road and it fell apart. Also the front end alignment should be checked and adjusted when you replace the Lower BJ! i am having issues understanding them being changed? in 2005 and then you have changed one yourself? I do not know why one would fail with only 5 years on it unless it was not installed by the dealership properly? Why so many Lower BJ's?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
If installed properly it matters not not that a "qualified"* mechanic or a shadetree bolted on the parts. If you're gonna play you're gonna break stuff and if you haven't broken stuff than you're not playing hard enough. Triply so with regards to offroading and chassis parts.

In many cases all you do when "upgrading" a component is move the point of failure to another point in the system. The best you can hope for is to raise the overall point of failure to higher levels at which point after awhile you'll rediscover as you take on bigger and more difficult challenges.

ASE certification is a joke! Any one of us could probably pass the test in a day if motivated*
WTF? I didn't say certified, I said qualified. IMO, a qualified mechanic would include anyone with the tools and abilities to properly perform the task. And I was speaking in general terms, not specifically offroading or chassis parts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
WTF? I didn't say certified, I said qualified. IMO, a qualified mechanic would include anyone with the tools and abilities to properly perform the task. And I was speaking in general terms, not specifically offroading or chassis parts.
LOL Excuse my assuming that since this thread is about offroading and failing chassis parts (ball joint bolts) that that's what we would all be discussing.

BTW what's with the f-bomb dropping on all your replies I happen across?

·
Registered
3,058 Posts

thats the cost of having fun.
so maybe you made a mistake, it won't be your last.
live & learn. but don't stop enjoying.
all it does is it costs you some money, & down time.

i assume we all know the risk's, but they will never out weigh
the fun time. the smile's, laugh's are priceless.
boy's just want to have fun,
gorilla
Excuse my assuming that you read all the replies. The text in the quote box above is the post I was originally responding to. I've been wrong before but I believe he is talking about new parts in general, not offroading specifically. Having been on here longer than 2 months, I am familiar with Gorilla's posts and, because of that, how he uses uses his truck. This further validated my belief that he meant parts in general, not offroad specific. Are you still with me? I responded with what I did to bust his balls a little bit. While Gorilla and I try to answer questions for each other when we can, I like giving him a hard time once in awhile. As for the f-bombs (not sure why you're worried) I have over 800 posts and I'd bet 10 or less have f-bombs, so "all" is quite a stretch. I did have 2 WTFs yesterday because I was responding to 2 posts that made me say WTF. Relax dude.

LOL Excuse my assuming that since this thread is about offroading and failing chassis parts (ball joint bolts) that that's what we would all be discussing.

BTW what's with the f-bomb dropping on all your replies I happen across?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts