Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i spent a few hours in the shop over the last couple days and completed the lowering of my 06 dc 2wd. measured stock, the front fenders were 34" off the concrete and now they are at 33 1/2". the rear fenders were at 35 1/2" off the concrete and now they are 33 1/2". the inclinometer on the bed rails reads spot on zero. i didn't take a measurement of the before and after height of the opened tailgate. makes for much easier access to the bed now. may lower the front another 1/2" to get a little bit of rake back.

icon coil overs on the front were dialed up to drop the front end instead of dialed down to raise the front end. the icon spring rate increased 75 pounds over factory so i ended up with better handling and they just flat out give a better ride too. the other mods that were already installed were a hellwig sway bar and poly steering rack bushings.

for the rear i ordered the following parts from TundraRacing:

1) new lower/rear bolt on shock mounts that lowered the mounting position by 3"
2) 2" lowering shackles
3) shorter bump stops

a set of bilstien 5100's shocks replaced the factory tokiko's out back. the ride quality (vertical plane) has actually improved over stock and the handling characteristics (horizontal plane) have also improved. the front icons give a more refined ride than the 5100's do, but for now i am very pleased with the 5100's and factory leaf springs. the tokiko's were crap at 43k miles! knowing what i know now and even if i were not lowering my truck, i would not hesitate for a moment to chunk the tokiko's and install the 5100's.

i will eventually replace the 5100's with some icon resi's, but for now they're pretty jammin! why 3" lowering rear shock mounts and only 2" lowering shackles? the icon resi's require an extra inch of distance between the stock upper and lower shock mounting positions and the 5100's will work with either the stock distance or up to 1" more distance than stock. so by lowering the shock mount 1" more than what the shackles give, the 1" increase in distance between mounting positions was achieved. reverse block-logic i guess?

the last adjustment was to level out the rear hellwig sway bar and bolt the end links into the middle hole instead of the rear hole where they were before. the results are remarkable! the truck corners even flatter and rides more cushy too. both goals achieved.

next are some 285's all around to go with the 20" rims sitting in the shop and more than likely some wheel spacers to widen the stance a couple more inches... then we'll have comfy truck on rails. air bags shipped today to retain functionality because after all, it is a truck you kwow!

i give appreciation to lots of folks here on ts whose knowledge, insights, and various ramblings have assisted me in creating the truck i have been desiring to drive for years. and a big hats off to tom over at TundraRacing who played a big part in this build up too. top notch is tom! a friendly guy who is willing to share his knowledge and he has probably forgot more about what he does than i will ever know. thanks tom, you're the best! :tu::tu:

·
Registered
823 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know... i've tried to post up pics here on ts a couple times. i can't get my digital camera to make the pictures small enough to meet the requirements of ts. if you would like some pics i can take some and email them to you or anybody who would like to see them. just pm me your email and let me know the shots you would like to see.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hey Von....I got your pictures, your Tundra looks GREAT!!

I resized them and uploaded your pictures to my photobucket account and just in case their servers ever go down and your pictures disappear Im going to attach them on TundraSolutions site too so they will always be here for people to view. ; ) Great work!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great job on the pics rich! i appreciate you, brother. and points sent.

here's what's going on with the pics...

1st pic is looking pretty level as the distance between the top of the tires and the fender wells are now very close to the same on the front and rear.

2nd pic is of the angle finder sitting on the drivers side bedrail after install. virtually zero rake now-reading maybe 1/2 degree off from center. passenger side reads dead center.

3rd pic is of the tundra racing 2" lowering shackle installed on the drivers side. notice the poly bushings. these bushings were already installed in the shackles upon arrival. i added a bit of grease on the outsides of the bushings to ease installation and to prevent noise.

4th pic shows a factory rear shackle in hand next to the tundra racing 2" lowering shackle installed on drivers side.

5th pic is of the rear 3" lower shock mount installed on the drivers side with hellwig sway bar in fore ground. sway bar needs to be adjusted upwards a bit to be level.

6th pic is of the rear 3" lower shock mount installed on passenger side. you can see clearly the factory lower shock mounting position above the new lowering bracket. the new 3" lower rear shock brackets just bolt right up to the factory offerings. although the pics don't show it, once installed, the new 3" lower rear shock mounting brackets do not extend downwards lower than the bottom of the pumpkin which translates into no new clearance issues to be concerned with.

thanks again rich! you are very generous.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
great job on the pics rich! i appreciate you, brother. and points sent.

thanks again rich! you are very generous.

Dont mention it Von, glad I could help....now people can see how a lowered Tundra looks and know you dont always have to raise em. ;)

Im waiting to see those pics w/ your 20" wheels and 285 tires. :eyebrows:

·
I'm just here for the food!
600 Posts
yay! always a pleasure to see another 1st gen lowered. I also went with the TR2035 kit amongst other parts from Tom. Though I had a custom exhaust done and encountered some problems with the hellwig and lowering kit fitment. Long story short though, I went with the x-runner shocks in the back which I presume are the bilsteins??? and the stance looks good!

Thanks for the pictures and keep up the good work:tu:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kaleo,

howzit? i miss the islands so much! every time i see one of you guys from the islands post up, i am transported back to kona in my mind. thanks for the :tu:.

i have read that others have experienced problems with their exhaust systems being in the way when lowering. i guess i was fortunate because i had zero issues. my exhaust is the factory TRD dual tip exhaust.

the only issue i had, and it was very minor, was once the rear was lowered, the hellwig end links barely rubbed the rear alignment clips (sic.- i don't know the proper name for them) on each side that wrap around the factory leaf springs. there was a little noise at first, but it was so minor i decided to ignore it. now, about 3 weeks or so later, those little clips which are made out of a soft material have small grooves worn in them by the endlinks and no more noise. the clips and end links are functional and i have zero worries about them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts