Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. First time poster. I have a 2004 DC 2 wheel drive with a TRD supercharger. 185k and going strong!!! Recently I had my drivers side axel bearing go out so took it to a local shop (off a neighbors recommendation) and they fixed it up no problem. Well today my wife is driving the truck in the rain and she spins out going around a turn. Then she breaks traction on the highway while passing somebody. She’s obviously shaken up when she comes to pick me up so I drive. Sure enough, my usually sure footed tundra is now a one wheel peel.

Now usually when I loose traction in the truck the little “squeally tire light” comes on.....but not this time.

The trucks not throwing any codes and drives well....all except the loss of limited slip and the traction control not functioning. I called the mechanic back and he just got pissed off and said “what do you want me to do”. Looking for any input

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tell the mechanic in his face to not get pissy with you. He shouldn't have a pissy attitude unless he's just a pissy type person, or he fried your LSD clutch pacs and is acting like kids do when questioned. Talk to the owner of the shop about it. If not satisfied just go online and give that shop a bad review at every possible place. I mean wear that place out. Go to another shop to change out the clutch pacs as it's probably wore out from to many burnouts.

Check the traction control button as it's always turned off when having fun doing burnouts, donuts and just romping the heck out of the trk. Hence, it might still be off and reason for why it doesn't give the light.

To bad ya can't prove the mechanic fried your clutch pac. That is unless someone saw him doing it and will show up in court as witness to him beating the crap out of your truck. Better yet, if you see them ripping the streets up in in your truck on Facebook, you got em. Be sure to give us the link so we can check out a 1st gen TRD supercharged trk in action. (y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did he use fluid compatible with a lsd? Even if he did you may need additional lsd additive for yours to function correctly.

If you came at him with accusations off the bat most people don't enjoy that kinda thing. Or he may just have a bad attitude. I'd try to get it resolved before dragging him through the mud on social media, it can be effective but is way overdone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said he used the right fluid but I’m not sure. From what I’ve researched if he didn’t then it could make the clutches not release and chirp going around corners. This is the exact opposite....one wheel is not engaging at all.

i don’t plan on blasting them on social media at all. The worst he’s going to get from me is not recommending his shop to others. All of us can make a mistake. I just want my truck to run the way it did. Putting all those ponies into one wheel is a little sketchy on wet roads. :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
That makes sense, the fluid is where I'd start anyway. The process of changing the bearing really shouldn't have messed up the lsd. Stranger things have happened though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not saying to not question that first. But for them to be recommended, their mechanic can't be so naive to not know what oil and additive is used for your LSD, unless the shop has the floor sweepers (novice mechanics) help by doing the small stuff. But yet one would expect the mechanic to give the helper the correct Differential oil and LSD additive with reminder of what to do.

Hope you keep us informed. If your LSD was strong when turned in and Everything on the Mechanics End Was Done Right, and you don't romp on the accelerator abusing the trk, it's hard to believe strong clutch packs gave out before your getting it back. Around here it's about a $400 and up job for a drivetrain shop to do their thing. I would give the original shop $400 worth of payback by spreading what happened to you on the internet. You'd probably save some people the unnecessary headache/loss your going through.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If the original mechanic was from my era, 60'S survivor it may well be an old school type of LSD flashback issue???? Just saying!
Keep us posted, thanks... Chap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts