Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, can anyone help me understand the use of these buttons in my new truck better? I am aware of how a LSD works, but am unsure of why/when you'd want to turn it off. it seems like if you are stuck it would help out. is it better to drive with it off? what about when towing. the owners manual is not very helpful in this regard. Also, the other button, down low on the left, RSCA off, or something like that. again, the owners manual not so helpful. I don't see any lights that tell me if these functions are on and off. Any clues would help out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The rsca is the roll sensing curtain airbag leave that alone .the other one your talking about disables traction control if pushed once,this will than enable the Lsd. you only wanna do this in slippery conditions or short straight ahead driving.If you push and hold this button for three seconds it disables all your traction control ,vehicle skid control and your limited slip.push the button again and everything is back on,also when shut down and restarted everything comes back on,hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone elso noticed that when you put your truck in 4WD the RSCA off lights up on the dash? I guess if you where off roading you would want the RSCA off in 4WD but if you are just traveling snow covered roads in 4WD you would want RSCA enabled?

·
Registered
37 Posts
the week I picked up my 5.7 DC TRD, we had a foot of snow. The Tundra was parked facing up a small hill and the rear tires spun when I tried to move.. I pushed the LSD button and tried again... the engine RPM increased and the truck inched up the hill.. it was cool.. MY QUESTION is: why turn on LSD mode rather than use 4 wheel drive?

·
Registered
43 Posts
With the vehicle running and at a complete stop, push and hold the LSD button for 4 seconds, this should turn off the VSC. Then unholy terror breaks loose as you apply pressure with your right foot. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
The RSCA Off button. It took me a while to figure it out, but to actually turn it off you have to hold the button down for 3-5 seconds. Then you'll see a light on the instrument panel showing that it's off. I was told that if you were going to be driving on an incline (sideways) like a levee, then you would want to turn that off so the vehicle doesn't think you're going to roll over and deploy the bags.

As for LSD, i'm not really clear on that one.

bb

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I feel deprived. I dont think I have the button in my crewmax. Only have 500 miles on it, but think I would have seen it. wai
Thought it had it, guess not..........

·
Registered
621 Posts
The RCSA button should only be turned off if you are driving the truck where you might get sideways on an incline or decline. For instance, serious off roading where you are in some steep hills or rocks. This turns off the side curtain air bags. Just because you are driving sideways on a steep incline you don't want the side curtain airbags deploying. Like my father used to say to me, "Son, you'll do that once." Now the other button, VSC. Push it once for a second and you turn off the Traction Control. This is recommended when taking off from a slippery snow or mud situation. After you get going and want it back on just push the button again for one second. When it is in the ON position it controls the engine RPM and brakes. For instance, if you try to take off of a snowy intersection too fast the Traction Control will take over to decelerate the engine so the wheels don't spin. These systems are not 100pct. You CAN and may lose control of the vehicle if you make extreme maneuvers. If you push the button for over 3 seconds it disables the Vehicle Stability Control System. This will allow you to spin the tires on any surface and it will not decelerate the engine. The brakes won't activate if you start to skid or slip in any direction. Be careful when you do this. If you 5.7L guys are trying to do a fast takeoff with max performance and you lose control of the vehicle it is all up to you. If you do want to turn it off you must be STOPPED and hit the button for over 3 seconds. We have a 1999 Corvette with this system. It has saved me a couple of times. Be careful when you first turn this off. Make sure you are somewhere safe if you lose control. A lot of Corvette owners have turned this system off for obvious reasons and they lost control of the Vette and destroyed the car, and sometimes themselves. All this information is in your OWNERS MANUAL. Starting around page 222 or there about. I drive on snow and ice 7 months of the year. I leave them on 99.9 pct of the time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Has anyone elso noticed that when you put your truck in 4WD the RSCA off lights up on the dash? I guess if you where off roading you would want the RSCA off in 4WD but if you are just traveling snow covered roads in 4WD you would want RSCA enabled?
The RSCA light should not come on. It should be the VSC light.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I feel deprived. I dont think I have the button in my crewmax. Only have 500 miles on it, but think I would have seen it. wai
Thought it had it, guess not..........

If you have it the button should be above the gas pedal behind the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
What I don't understand is some say it is dangerous to disable the vsc and ls but every other truck I have had did not have these features and they were safe to drive as long as I didn't drive like an idiot,so my question is, is this truck less safe with the vsc off than other trucks that do not have it, just curious?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What I don't understand is some say it is dangerous to disable the vsc and ls but every other truck I have had did not have these features and they were safe to drive as long as I didn't drive like an idiot,so my question is, is this truck less safe with the vsc off than other trucks that do not have it, just curious?

VSC is typically most effective in the rain & snow. I would not say it is dangerous to disable the VSC as most vehicles of years past did not have this feature. As you stated above as long as you do not drive like an idiot you should not run into problems. “Is it less safe?” I would have to answer yes as it is a safety device to help prevent the vehicle from loosing control, but in typical daily driving the VSC does not come into play. At the track the best times are with the VSC off.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I turn mine off everytime I get in the truck. Ill control my traction w/ my right foot, not some computer nanny doing it for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts