Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I would like some opinions here. I have a 2000 Tundra V8 with automatic transmission. I have 145,000 miles on the truck and 55,000 on the Shaeffers Synthetic fluid in the tranny. Occasionally when I tow my trailer 6-7k pounds, I get a really hard shift between 2nd and 3rd. I just added 10 oz of Lubegard Black to firm up the shifts. It seems to have helped just driving around town. I have yet to test it towing.

Do you think that this can hurt my transmission?

I do have a transmission fluid change coming up in 5k miles so I could flush it at that time without having it in there too long.

Thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
483 Posts
Lubegard Black is a friction modifier, reduces the friction between clutch packs and bearings, thereby getting smoother shifts.

If you added a bottle it should be fine, next time add Lubegard Platinum, it fortifies the ATF but does not add additional friction modifiers too the ATF which come with a doze of friction modifiers!!!

When I used the black stuff, it actually reduced the temp of my tranny..

Lubegard is good stuff.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I can't comment on the Lubgard, I have never used it. Schaeffers is good stuff, but I would not run it for over 30k miles without doing at least a drain-and-fill. I think changing the fluid would help more than trying to work with the old stuff. I also think what you describing is normal. You don't want to add a lot of friction modifier because it can increase wear on your clutches. Sometimes you need a firm shift. I would think towing would be one of those times.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I drove around with the Lubegard Black for a few days and even though the shifts were firmer, it felt like I picked up a rumble when it was idling. It even felt like the transmission was pushing the truck a little more because I would have to step on the brake a little harder when coming to a stop. Must have been from that extra friction stuff.

Anyway I put in 16qts of Mobil 1 ATF this afternoon and she shifts very smooth now. So much for my experiment. We'll see how she shifts when towing now.

Thanks,

Ken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts