Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this? I run Lucas in everything I have and it's always been great. Even in the brand new CM I could hear the valve train chiming away so I added half a quart and it quieted it up. Will it mix fine with the 0w20? Should I run it or not?

Randy
2K miles

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Ever hear of Full Synthetic Motor Oil Being "Unstable"?

Me either . . . . . ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wouldn't dare put anything other then oil in my engine. The engineers designed the engine for durability with specific oil characteristics and Lucas wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
I wouldn't dare put anything other then oil in my engine. The engineers designed the engine for durability with specific oil characteristics and Lucas wasn't one of them.
yeah...but everyone has their own things they swear by. me? i just put the cheap dino oil in mine since thats what yota said to use. but to each his own. kinda like those stupid advertisements at the gas pumps trying to sell you on fuel injector cleaner and all that garbage.

·
Registered
656 Posts
yeah...but everyone has their own things they swear by. me? i just put the cheap dino oil in mine since thats what yota said to use. but to each his own. kinda like those stupid advertisements at the gas pumps trying to sell you on fuel injector cleaner and all that garbage.
Nothing wrong with cheap dino oil, after all the engine was designed to work with dino oil.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Nothing wrong with cheap dino oil, after all the engine was designed to work with dino oil.
yup. thats why i do it. i change it at 5k miles too. gee. thats exactly what yota says to do hahahaha.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I used lucas a long time in pushrod motors.... I could tell the difference back then.... I haven't tried it in the last ten years or so. It actually quieted down noisy powersteering pumps as well...

Check out bob is the oil guy dot com. There are some good write-ups on all types of oil and oil additives. My only concern with adding anything to our oil is that we use a very "thin" oil and anything that would change the viscosity can't be good.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Ever hear of Full Synthetic Motor Oil Being "Unstable"?

Me either . . . . . ;)
Exactly (this would have been my post, word for word, if I'd gotten here before Negra). Running 5K OCI's with synthetic oil and then putting this stuff in to boot seems completely unnecessary....if the valve train noise is too loud for you then turn on the radio!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow.....I got flamed and I'm not even on Pirate4x4. I just assumed that if I could hear the valves then there wasn't a good layer of oil between the two pieces of metal that were hitting and making the noise.

Dakster, I will check out the bob the oil guy page. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Wow.....I got flamed and I'm not even on Pirate4x4. I just assumed that if I could hear the valves then there wasn't a good layer of oil between the two pieces of metal that were hitting and making the noise.

we aint flamin...we just tellin it how it is hahahhahaa

·
Registered
656 Posts

Indeed, no flames, just opinions/advice. The valve noise is normal. With 32 valves, 32 roller rockers (as opposed to bucket/shim type), 4 camshafts, 4 timing chains, all in an aluminum block there is going to be some noise.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I know for a fact the lucas oil additive has a high viscosity base oil in it. Because of that fact alone, I wouldn't use it in any modern engine. I've always considered most of these types of additives a bandaid treatment for a worn out oil consuming engine.

I'd stay away from oil additives in a 5.7 - any modern engine oil (synthetic or regular) of the recommended viscosity will do a more than adequate job of lubrication.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know for a fact the lucas oil additive has a high viscosity base oil in it. Because of that fact alone, I wouldn't use it in any modern engine. I've always considered most of these types of additives a bandaid treatment for a worn out oil consuming engine.

I'd stay away from oil additives in a 5.7 - any modern engine oil (synthetic or regular) of the recommended viscosity will do a more than adequate job of lubrication.

The band-aid treatment is exactly why I started using Lucas. I figured if it fixed a smoking Chevy Z71 and quieted down most of my other older junk then it's got to be good. I've only ever used it in worn out motors (that's all I've ever had).

Thanks Thumbster.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Two facts the Lucas Company does not want you to know:

1) A heavy weight single grade motor oil (e.g. straight 40 weight) will also quiet motors and stop smokey exhausts, but thick oils (or oils thickened with Lucas additive) are bad for unworn motors.

2) Properly maintained and driven Toyota engines don't suffer much ring or valve wear even after 300K or 400K miles, hence they don't develop smokey exhausts to begin with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts