Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Nice install. I like the location and they look good and bright. I installed some since I tinted my taillights, They weren't as bright as i thought they would be but could just be the lights. I was curious though since I spliced them into my reverse lights would there be a resister in that circuit or would they be full 12V? I guess I could just test it unless someone has the answer. Would they be brighter running off a switch with power source straight from the battery?

· Registered
1,024 Posts
Those are great! I love how they don't even shine behind the truck, only down at the ground.

No, the voltage does not get cut in half 12v down to 6v. 12 volts is 12 volts... it is the amperage/draw that changes. It is slightly similar to residential wiring in that you use circuits and protection (fuses or circuit breakers). Larger wire for larger draw and smaller wire for less draw. A breaker is just another way to stop the flow of electricity when a circuit is overloaded or shorted.

What will happen is if you tap into an existing 12v circuit you may draw too much and it could overload the circuit. The existing backup lights may only have a 10 or 15 amp fuse/circuit and if you install additional lights you will most likely over burden the existing circuit. The best way to add lights is to either do an additional fused hot lead just like you have it, or add a relay. The relay could be triggered/switched off the reverse light circuit but would have a separate hot lead from the battery (fused of course) so it is basically an additional circuit but getting a signal from the reverse switch to turn on and off. If that makes any kind of sense.

Yeah that makes sense. thanks for sharing. I think I need some more wire and a relay to do it right now. Might even attempt the three way switch while im at it.

· Registered
1,024 Posts
yeah i enjoy wiring too. And I also wanted a switch in the back. good for hooking up a trailer at night. right now I just leave it in reverse and kill the ignition and turn it back to acc. or whatever allows the lights to be on. I might just leave them to be on with the reverse lights and also put a switch in the back as well. I dont really need it in the truck. Or maybe somehow wire them into the cargo light switch....hmmm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.