Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Way darker than yours
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing okay, been two weeks without any mods. Then I got itchy, shaky, started twitching, I needed a quick fix! AAAAHHHHH the M.A.D.ness was kicking in!:D

I got myself a set of fog lights off a friend who had a kit sitting in his garage. He had lost interest in them and gave them to me for buying beer!:D

All I needed was some wire, had it in the garage already. Got a switch I could live with since the kit provided one was pretty crappy and I was off.:D

Installed the switch in the little space under the keys, ran wires to the battery with a fuse, wired a ground, ran wire from the switch to the rear end, then to the lights and a ground for each one. Mounted the lights on the back side of the rear fenders where they are not visible and are protected from tire flung projectiles. I still have to fiddle with the aiming but they do work very well. I think I am going to run a relay in between somewhere, I can get them for free so it's a good thing to do. For some reason the switch gets warm when they are on for a while, maybe the relay will help with that. I only use them for 10 seconds at a time anyhow so it's okay for now. I still need to clean up/tuck and tie the wires but big deal, they are in. For the price of a $10 switch, and buying some beer that I drank my share of, I can now see what I'm running over in reverse! Here are some pics, enjoy. Until the M.A.D.ness strikes again, should be any day now.:D:D:D

· Registered
Way darker than yours
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a good idea to go that route. I thought about it, but it was easier to do it this way, didn't want to splice into anything. The good thing is the way they are tucked, they don't blind people around me. I was accidentally responsible!

· Registered
Way darker than yours
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those look good Salsamax. Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Erki, that is what I was concerned about, that's why I chose not to splice into anything. They aren't totally done, but they are fully functional. Just for comparison, these are 55watt. I'm not honestly to knowledgeable on electrical voodoo, but I had a feeling that splicing would result in shared voltage(series circuit) rather than independent voltage(parallel circuit) Again, I don't know too much about electrical, but I remember a few things and one of them is that shared voltage is what it sounds like, SHARED/DIVIDED. By that logic, (if it is correct) that would mean splicing into existing lights power source would result in divided 12v, likely 6v and 6v. If I am wrong, feel free to correct me but be cool about it, I'm just a plumber!

· Registered
Way darker than yours
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info Dino, I'd send points but I can't for now. Raincheck!
In real life they do light up enough area to see, but there is of course a focused spot since they are meant to be aimed forward not down. I agree, flood lights would be better for the job, I agree again that the price was right!:heh:

· Registered
Way darker than yours
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Grave digging to put up the upgraded version.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.