Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever magnetized their oil dipstick? Is there a chance of screwing up some electrical stuff if it was magnetized? It looks like there are small metal particles on the stick when i pull it out so i thought magnetizing it would help them stick so i could see how many were in there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Mr Wizard. It sounds like fun to do that, but I doubt it would work.

There will always be some metal particles in a new vehicle, but that's an excessive amount. If you can see it with the eye, you need to go to the dealer and gripe for oil and filter changes until it's gone.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Not a bad idea. Use a solenoid with the insides removed, a switch and some electrical tape so you won't get fried. And I imagine the best use would be after a few thousand miles. By then you'd expect no more shavings. Points sent.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Why don't you get a magnetic drain plug or attach a magnet to your existing plug? It would be easier and probably more effective.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems like a magnet on/around the drain plug would be a good idea. I've also seen magnets that wrap around the filter. All you do is swap it to the next filter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I work on C-130's and we have magnetized plugs on our engines. They tell us when metal is coming off of the gearbox teeth etc. The magnet on the drain plug would be the same thing. Also if you did want to magnetize your dip stick, run a strong magnet down the length of the dipstick repeatedly. To un-magnetize it smack it on the ground. I know it sounds weird but look it up, it works...

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Of course the obvious question is WHAT METAL?
There are a lot of them (aluminum for example) that are not attracted to magnets.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Drain a cup of your motor oil. Insert a small powerful button type hardware store magnet into the oil. Swirl it around. Pull out the magnet and examine it. Any particles? No!

For a more convicing test, drain all 7 quarts and let the oil sit for a day or two. Insert a powerful hardware store magnet into the oil and let it sit on the floor of the container. Pull out the magnet and examine it. Any particles? No!

For an even more convincing test, examine the pleats inside your oil filter. See any particles? You'll see just traces of particles on a new Toyota engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts