Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MagnaFlow 16782 Exhaust

So, Amazon was having quite a sale on the ""MagnaFlow 16782 Stainless Steel 2.5" Cat-Back Exhaust System". I found the MagnaFlow 16782 on Amazon listed for $421 dollars. With the current promotion and free shipping, I will have it shipped to my door for $321.40 from Amazon, not a vendor selling on Amazon.

The MagnaFlow website shows these system usually sells for quite a bit more, nearly a grand more.... at least that is the listing price.

According to the MagnaFlow website, there is one caveat to this model, it only fits Tundras produced between 2007 and July 2008. Fortunately, my Tundra was produced January of 2008, so there shouldn't be any issues..... I hope.

Here are some details pertaining to this Cat-back exhaust from the MagnaFlow website:

Details

2007- JULY 2008 5.7L V-8 TOYOTA TUNDRA DUAL SAME SIDE EXIT BEHIND REAR PASSENGER TIRE Cat-back system with Tru-X and twin 3.5” Double-Wall Tips.

5.7L V-8, EC-CC/SB, Dual Rear Side Exit, 2.5"/3" SS tubing, 3.5" Rolled/P-SS Tip

FITS ONLY 2007- JULY 2008
Check DOOR JAMB for BUILD DATE

CC= Crew Cab | EC= Extended Cab | SC= Standard Cab | SB= Short Bed
LB= Long Bed | P-SS= Polished Stainless Steel | SS Tubing= Stainless Steel Tubing
SRW= Single Rear Wheel | DRW= Dual Rear Wheel

When I get it in, and get it installed, I'll have some videos with different situations with pre/post sounds, such as driving by, sitting still, cabin noise at specific speeds, etc.

·
Registered
420 Posts
When I cheched that part number it comes up at $677.52 on Amazon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The price depends on who is selling it. My comes directly from Amazon.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I don't get the "build date" issue.... what could be different?

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
The exhaust setup should be the same (5.7 vs 4.7), as it's a "cat-back" system.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about the Build Date issue either, but that is what MagnaFlow has stated on their website, and since they have designed and built it, I think I'm gonna abide by their instrucions.

Somehow my list price was $428, then I had a promotional discount......guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The issue with the build date is the moved the exhaust flange further toward the rear on a 2009-2010. Ran into this issue when i put flowmaster system made for 07-08 had to cut it and weld it in. If your going to do that anyway just a little more work than usual.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I looked into that system after seeing the same great prices at Amazon. One common complaint is that particular system has very bad drone on the Tundra. You may have to have a resonator or something added to help with this. Looking foward to your review.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
You can fix the drone 100% by welding in 26" long capped off pipes in a "T" about half way down each tailpipe. :nod:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
There are some pics of the tubes in my gallery. You can also find some better descriptions of how to build and install them by searching this forum for the text "Helmholtz".

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The box arrived and I checked out the contents, it all seems to be there. I hope to get it all installed soon.
I'll have to get my Digital video camera out and get some video sounds of the following:

Situation------------------------Stock----------------------MagnaFlow
Idle noise Inside / Outside--------- ? --------------------------- ? -----
Driving by at 55 Mph-------------- ? --------------------------- ? -----
Cabin noise at 55 mph------------- ? --------------------------- ? -----

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just picked that same muffler up in a stainless version. It came off of a GM 350, and my buddy owns the shop. He installed it a little further back than stock, and then put on about "18 turndowns. Sounds really good, and when windows are up you hardly hear it at all. It cost me a carmel mocha! (I own espresso business, so I will take him a few more.) And I only have a 4.7-the 5.7 oughta sound pretty sweet. Magnaflow have always been my favorite. If you get resonance, put in a coupla of small glass packs ahead of the muffler. I had to do this on my 'vette, but I also took all 4 cats off of it and have over 600 rwhp. :becky:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally got the MagnaFlow installed yesterday afternoon.
I'm still working on the video editing to make the comparison apparent.
Upon starting the truck, it was very apparent there was an aftermarket exhaust installed; The tone is very nice.
Driving it up and down the road, one can tell that there is a growl coming from the back, but I would not say its overly obnoxious, overbearing or droning. Just from listening to the exhaust from the driver's seat, there didn't seem to be much of a difference in sound between the factory and the MagnaFlow at 65Mph. Even when under moderate acceleration, the difference was minimal......, at least that's what my Army damaged ears could perceive.

I'm working on the video's and should have them ready for posting fairly soon.

For the cheap price of $321 shipped to my door, I definitely got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Update??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry, I've been really busy with other problems.
In February I stepped on an unsecured County Water Utility Hole cover. The Cover flipped up, and I went in striking my knee pretty hard.
Since then, I've been dealing with the lawyers, and the second surgeon stated he will do the Arthroscopic surgery on my left knee.

I'll get it done soon.

However, as noted earlier, I suppose it really depends on what Drone means.
There is definitely some noise coming from the back, but I when listening to the radio or other audio, its not really noticeable. So far I'm pretty happy with the price of this setup.

On another note; Yesterday I did some research on some dirt roads, driving around looking for a good camping spot. I was "very" impressed with the braking power of this truck. Flying down a dirt road I nearly missed a sharp corner and hit the brakes. I was really impressed by how quick the Tundra stopped. Of Course the ABS kicked in, and all 4 disc brakes really brought the truck to a very quick stop, despite it being a gravel road. When sliding around corners on the dirt road the "anti-slip" thingy would start beeping and it seemed to cut the engine power and brake one of the wheels. Either way, the truck would definitely straighten out. When I turned off the "anti-slip" thingy, I could power-slide around corners (lots of fun).

As well, when the truck was in 4-hi, I climbed over some off-camber stuff, where one wheel in the back and one wheel in the front was off the ground. The Limited Slip, and traction control is pretty tight, it did a "VERY" good job of keeping the truck moving forward. I was very impressed, nearly as good as a locking differential, but not as twitchy as the locker.

During this whole time of bouncing around the dirt roads the CD player was playing without any hiccups. Very nice and impressive. OH, and when I finally did find a camping spot, even though it was off the beaten path, I was able to make a way-point marking for later retrieval.....Very nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts