Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just installed my MagnaFlow 15820. I am a bit disappointed in the overall finish and am looking for some advice on how to improve it. It's supposed to be all stainless, but the welded discolored areas are an eye sore as you can see. Should I touch these areas up with some paint or what? Also there is some areas where the packing foam is stuck to the tubes. I tried brake parts cleaner, but that won't even remove it. Should I sand it off with fine grit sand paper, or try to polish it off?

Thanks,
<TUNDRA>

Attachments

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Magnaflow is a modest quality K-mart style exhaust company. Their stainless is 409, which although it is better than mild steel, it will still show some rust as time passes. Better stuff is 304 stainless, such as used by Borla and Corsa. Magnaflow also has marginal fit and finish. You may have to do a little tweaking to make things work. On my Gen 2 Tundra they actually ran the tailpipes between the leaf springs and the frame, which is a guaranteed recipe for hard metal to metal contact, even on modest bumps. I ripped it off immediately. In summary, you get what you paid for.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
That rust isn't too bad, if it bugs you you could hit it with some high temp paint, but then you will have a painted spot to look at. It wouldn't bother me a bit, who looks down there? As far as the packing foam, it will likely melt on as you drive, becoming impossible to remove without damaging the finish of the piping. If you are going to spray the rust spot, go ahead and sand/spray the foam spots while you are at it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It doesn't matter if you polish it up anyway. After a year, the pipes will be completely discolored. You would have had to get the entire system high-temp coated before putting the kit on, and even then it would get scratched up.

·
Registered
158 Posts
By the way, your under body is ridiculously clean. Not to take away from the topic, but what do you do to keep it like that?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Their stainless is 409, which although it is better than mild steel, it will still show some rust as time passes. Better stuff is 304 stainless, such as used by Borla and Corsa.
Mr. Creosote, Thanks for this info. I will keep it in mind going forward.
I tried some Mothers Polish last night and it seemed to work well.

By the way, your under body is ridiculously clean. Not to take away from the topic, but what do you do to keep it like that?

CookieMan08, Thanks for the kudos. Just part of spring cleaning, besides I can't let JB have all the fun.

<TUNDRA>

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, even though the exhaust is stainless, I don't know if that hanger is going to be stainless. And if they don't purge the area around the weld, the weld area will show discoloring and rust. But it also depends on what kind of welding rod was used as well.

IMO, just that area around the hanger is no big deal. To get an exhaust that is in "show room" condition, you'd spend $1000 or more on it. That exhaust looks really nice. But the IMPORTANT PART....how does it SOUND???

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies!

I'll keep my eye on it, and if it does rust, I'll paint it.

As far as the sound, all I can say is what sound? Probably the most quiet aftermarket system I've installed. Big thumbs down!!

<TUNDRA>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts