Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auto part Automotive exterior Transmission part Automotive engine part

So I just got my 2003 Tundra SR5 V8 back from the dealer after my frame swap and he made me aware that my exhaust was really rotted out. In fact when they re-assembled it, a couple holes opened up in two of the pipes and now I have a rather nice sound rumble-y V8 (which won't pass inspection due in 2 months). So I gotta fix it. I live in MA, so they are a bunch of nazi's about this stuff.

I need to replace PN#17450-0F050 (left side catalytic converter; item 2 in pic) and the part it connects too, PN#17403-0F040 (item 3 in pic). The OEM MSRP prices for those two parts are $1305 and $234, respectively.

While I would love to have OEM cats, I simply cannot afford the price of them right now. So I need to look to aftermarket. I used Magnaflow replacements for my Nissan Murano a while back, and they held up for 40k miles at which time I sold the POS.

Also, since I'm replacing one side, I figure I should probably do both... ?

The dealer was pretty sympathetic and tried to cut me a deal on price of OEM stuff but was still way above what I wanted to pay, so he agreed to replace the exhaust with the pieces I bring him for a charge of one hour labor plus misc stuff like gaskets, etc.

My question is has anyone used either version of the Magnaflow direct fit replacement cats? They are both OBDII compliant, and it just appears one has a heavier coat of heavy metal wash, they call them "OEM Grade"

(From their website)
What is OEM Grade?

Close X
OEM Grade converters are specially formulated with a heavier wash coat and loaded with twice the amount of precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium) to provide a much stronger coverage.

OEM Grade is recommended for vehicles that have:

High Mileage
History of Check Engine Lights
Gross Polluters
California Emissions Equipment Outside of California

Please refer to your emissions tag located on the underside of the hood.

Example:
"Standard heavy metal coating" vs "OEM Grade"... the price difference appears to be just about $120.

Buy MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Online

Buy MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust Online

I have 100k on my truck and wondering if I would be better off spending the money on the OEM grade. My truck is my winter daily driver, but in the other 3 seasons gets driven maybe once a week.

Any help would be appreicated. I know there are other mfg's of direct fit cats, but I've read a lot of horror stories about Eastern and others... so that's why I looked to Magnaflow first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
157 Posts
subin, in the same boat. Almost everyone on here says the aftermarket cats will throw codes. The price of new oem is ridiculous. Not sure what I will do either.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did search and read through several of those threads but nothing specific was discussed as to the "OEM grade" or "Standard heavy metal coating" cats was found.

I found the "cat cleaning w/ acid thread" a real eye opener. Wish I lived close to those guys.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup, there is a thread that previously discussed this topic... The DIRECT FIT Walker and Magnaflow parts will work. The crap universal ones you can buy off the shelf at your local parts store will throw codes. If I remember correctly, Remmy used them?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had replaced mine with magna flows and let me tell you that sparked the worst 9 months of my life. Id highly recommend the stock convertors from toyota as they gave me my life back the very second I replaced the magna slows with them well worth the money in my opinion

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the stainless Mag cat pipes installed on both sides with my new frame. I have never had any codes, nor have I ever had to changed the O2 sensors. I think people that get codes that won't clear usually have other issues that they blame on the new pipes, but if you do not have any other exhaust problems, do it right, and change the gaskets - you should be fine. Make sure you inspect them carefully. Mine had a small pin hole in one of the O2 socket welds, and had to have a shop fill it with weld. Check out performancepeddler.com. If you call them they will give huge discounts, just mention this forum.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Oems but magnablow said their cat should not cause codes because they are better flowing and yada yada all I know is it caused problems for me and others apparently and if I had known about the troubles I would've avoided them.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Those same parts are $1062.00 and $187.00 at Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories I know it still isn't insane, but it may save you a few hundred bucks if you can swing it. One of the vendors here, Camelback Toyota, who I've never ordered from but have heard good things from others who have, offers free shipping on orders over $150. They sell those parts for $1028 and $185. Not sure if these items would qualify due to size, but it's worth a shot.

There's also a member here, esconditotundra, who you may want to look up. He builds exhausts and can probably help you out or at least steer you in the right direction.

John

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a crappy aftermarket cat put on and it was fine for about 300 miles, then the CEL came on...I'll have to get it checked to see what code its throwing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts