Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bummed! I had a Magnaflow cat-back system put on my Sequoia when it only had a couple thousand miles on it. In the last few days, I thought is seemed a bit louder........crawled underneath the inspect.........and one of the end seams is split apart and spewing exhaust all over! The system has about 80K miles on it, but it shouldn't come apart at the seam like that.
I know these stainless steel monsters have a lifetime warranty on them, so I'll have to call Magnaflow on Monday to see what I need to do.

Contemplating putting the stock cat-back back on for a while though. I guess it depends on whether Magnaflow fixes my problem quickly!

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Which kit did you buy? Mine was a dual rear exit kit. They routed the pipes between the leaf springs and the frame, which is a virtual guarantee of hard metal to metal contact, even on small bumps. I actually saw sparks one time, which is especially disturbing considering the proximity to the fuel tank. :td:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

I called Magnaflow since the shop that originally installed my cat-back is no longer in business. They had me contact another authorized shop. They have a whole new kit on order from Magnaflow and should have it in about a week and a half. They'll then swap out my defective unit for a brand new one.
Yippee! Brand new cat-back after 80K miles. They said its rare for the muffler to split like that, but they will certainly honor the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man.........talk about a saga.........
I went to have the new cat-back installed. First problem was that they couldn't get the tail pip section separated from the exhaust pipe. They torched the crap out of it, which made me nervous. They finally got smart and cut it off.
They installed the new muffler section, only to find out that Magnaflow put the wrong tail pipe in the cat-back kit. So now I have a new muffler with no resonator or tip, waiting for the replacement to come.
I get home only to find out there is something messed up with my rear air-bag setup. After some investigation, I find out that they torched through an air line for the rear load-leveling suspension when they were trying to get the tail pip off!
What idiots! Now they will need to order parts from Toyota to fix the air bags!

Murphy's law I guess.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Oh man, that sucks! I was reading the first couple posts here and thought "Oh cool, a happy ending" Sorry to hear that. I'd be mad, but as long as they fix it right, I guess it's just time for patience. I don't like when people do rash things like that, torching something they could just cut off. If it isn't really saving time, it's not a real short cut. Hope it all ends well.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after having my truck all day yesterday, They were finally able to repair the air line on the rear suspension. I hope!
I'll have to crawl under there when the rain stops and inspect their work.
The manager felt bad about the situation since they said they'd have the air line fixed in 10 minutes. He even gave me his 2003 Tundra as a loner so I could get back to my day at work.

They were able to get the old resonator and tail pipe put back on the new cat-back system while they wait for Magnaflow to send the new replacement. At least I have a complete exhaust system now. It still means I have one more trip back there to have them put the remaining pieces back on though.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!
Finally got the correct tail pipe and resonator installed! It took Magnaflow almost three months to get the 15808 cat-back kit in stock.
They must have re-tooled it since the 15808 kit that they shipped was a rear exit and not a side exit. I see that they updated the description on their web sight to single rear exit, but the picture still shows the side-exit unit.

I kind of like the rear exit better! The resonator on this new rear exit is much larger than the side exit was and it is a lot quieter. Doesn't drone near as much as my old unit did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts