Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have installed a Magnaflow muffer what did you or the muffler shop do about the aft attach points(hangers) on the stock muffler. Do you cut those off and weld them to the Magnaflow muffler or do you just not use those hangers. It seems alot of stress would be placed on the muffler weld points if those aft hangers were ignored.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To those of you who have installed a Magnaflow muffer what did you or the muffler shop do about the aft attach points(hangers) on the stock muffler. Do you cut those off and weld them to the Magnaflow muffler or do you just not use those hangers. It seems alot of stress would be placed on the muffler weld points if those aft hangers were ignored.<br />
Thanks for any help you can offer.
<br />
<br />

I have not done that on mine but some of my folks have them welded too with the hangers.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The guy that did mine just welded on some hangers. He also reused the tail pipe section of the stock muffler and had a tip welded on also. Best 150 bucks parts and labor I spent for a nice sound.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The guy that did mine just welded on some hangers. He also reused the tail pipe section of the stock muffler and had a tip welded on also. Best 150 bucks parts and labor I spent for a nice sound.
do you have any pictures of your muffler? i want to switch out my muffler for an aftermarket one because i really dont have money to spend the whole exhaust system. do you know the pros and cons of just replacing the muffler?

·
Registered
756 Posts
You will get nice sound results with a muffler swap. I suggest the 14" magnaflow, I have it and it sounds great. The shop removed the old and rewelded on the new. Stay away from larger than stock pipes and most suggest keeping it a single exit. The only other mod would be headers as our stock exhaust is stainless from the factory, I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Enjoy the music...

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
do you have any pictures of your muffler? i want to switch out my muffler for an aftermarket one because i really dont have money to spend the whole exhaust system. do you know the pros and cons of just replacing the muffler?

hey man, Sorry just seen this post. I will try and get some pics for yeah

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
You will get nice sound results with a muffler swap. I suggest the 14" magnaflow, I have it and it sounds great. The shop removed the old and rewelded on the new. Stay away from larger than stock pipes and most suggest keeping it a single exit. The only other mod would be headers as our stock exhaust is stainless from the factory, I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Enjoy the music...
hows your sound when its at idle speed? thanks for the good info man

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, for just a magnaflow muffler install about $100.
give or take.
give it time for the inside to melt, for louder sound.
or go with the smallest magnaflow they make.
same thing wait until it melts.
you will like the sound.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
It sounds great. I have mine dumped right before the axle. Check with local law enforcement and inspection stations to see if this is legal in your state.
man i want mine done asap...but not till i get my cai put in first...im still debating on which to get though...so many to choose from...im thinking about just getting the trd package since its not much more then the afe...wats ur though on that?

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
man i want mine done asap...but not till i get my cai put in first...im still debating on which to get though...so many to choose from...im thinking about just getting the trd package since its not much more then the afe...wats ur though on that?
The stock setup IS a CAI.

If you want to spend money and have a reusable filter just get a drop in. If you really want to spend money and change the sound you may want to go with the Volant. Best and closest to stock setup that I have seen. JMHO

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The stock setup IS a CAI.

If you want to spend money and have a reusable filter just get a drop in. If you really want to spend money and change the sound you may want to go with the Volant. Best and closest to stock setup that I have seen. JMHO
wow im learning something new everyday lol thanks for the info. i guess ill just gotta save up for the volant, man they are not cheap!

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
wow im learning something new everyday lol thanks for the info. i guess ill just gotta save up for the volant, man they are not cheap!
No it isn't.

I went with Truflow but they went out of business within the last year or so. That one changes the tubing and uses the stock air box that draws air from the fender well. I have yet to actually install the tubing but I am using the reusable filter.

If you do some searching on CAIs on this site there are a lot of opinions on what works and what doesn't and at what RPMs. Some love the K&N and others pulled it off their truck after using it. Some good information and what people have actually tested.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Sorry took so long.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts