Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my muffler installed. $85.80 for the muffler and $54.14 for installation.

My thoughts: I wouldn't call it a disappointment, rather a misunderstanding. I initially expected a deep throaty sound on idling or on accelaration, but didn't get it. It did have a low drone sound just a little louder than the stock muffler. But otherwise very quiet in the cabin. Performance wise - I don't know if if it's just me or a real thing. Since I installed the KN 77 Cold air intake, it seemed to have lost some low end power, but coupled with this new muffler, it seemed to have regained that low end power/torque.

So am I happy with my mod? I wouldn't give it a five star but i could defineitly be happier with a throary exhaust sound.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I just had my muffler installed. $85.80 for the muffler and $54.14 for installation.

My thoughts: I wouldn't call it a disappointment, rather a misunderstanding. I initially expected a deep throaty sound on idling or on accelaration, but didn't get it. It did have a low drone sound just a little louder than the stock muffler. But otherwise very quiet in the cabin. Performance wise - I don't know if if it's just me or a real thing. Since I installed the KN 77 Cold air intake, it seemed to have lost some low end power, but coupled with this new muffler, it seemed to have regained that low end power/torque.

So am I happy with my mod? I wouldn't give it a five star but i could defineitly be happier with a throary exhaust sound.
I bought a 12586 last year. I never got around to installing it but will sometime soon. I actually am happy to hear your report. I never installed because I was afraid it would be too loud although most here said it sounded stock at idle but had some sound to it under acceleration. One thing I will tell you is that most here on this forum who installed the 12586 or the 14586 have said that the sound gets better with time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing I will tell you is that most here on this forum who installed the 12586 or the 14586 have said that the sound gets better with time.Today 12:17 PM

Well, I'm glad to hear that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The muffler will break (settle) in after a few hundred miles. It'll never be a Flowmaster 40, but it will get a little louder & deeper. I noticed more power w/ mine, too, but thought it was in my head. I seem to feel more kick in the 2500-3000 rpm range.

·
Registered
417 Posts
when i got my magnaflow installed well i didint like the way it sounded gave it a few weeks and it just sounds awesome

·
Registered
71 Posts
How much is this muffler option? I am definately interested but need to clear the $ with the wife.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
634 Posts
How much is this muffler option? I am definately interested but need to clear the $ with the wife.

Thanks!

Chris
I had done a search on Ebay and found a guy who was selling the 12586 for about 70 bucks and the 14586 for about 84. He is still selling them there. I think it was the Performance Peddler. Check out Ebay and you will find him.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The muffler will break (settle) in after a few hundred miles. It'll never be a Flowmaster 40, but it will get a little louder & deeper. I noticed more power w/ mine, too, but thought it was in my head. I seem to feel more kick in the 2500-3000 rpm range.
Yes, there is no doubt that I feel more power. I try to to as objective as possible, but the truck definitely feels much lighter. Acceleration is more satisfying. This muffler with the KN Series 77 Cold Air Intake is a good combination.:D

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I don't believe the muffler alone is giving us any more power. I have a magnaflow on mine now for about a year now. Sound does get better. But the noise in the cab stays quiet, which is great! You can tell is is still loud enough outside when some guy walking up the street turns to see whats comming! And they are far enough away:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can you guys tell me if you still have your resonator installed and are you double cab, ext-cab....

I just did the 18 inch single in dual out, 06 D, without the resonator it was just right not to loud not to quiet. People would turn their head when i was comming down the road. however, i could not stand the drone and put the resonator back in and now the drone is gone, but it is a little to quiet. At idiol it sounds stock. you guys are running a 22 inch. if you have your resonator i would think it sounds the same as stock. can you please clearify what configuration you are running.

I am ready to change it out for a 14 or a 40 flowmaster. I want the deep sound.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
I left mine on, was afraid of getting a drone in the cab. Besides, I have to pass emisions when I sell it. I think it's a waste of time and money to remove it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts