Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems my Yakima Accessories off my old round bar will not fit the FJ factory rack. I have bike mounts, gunwale brackets and landshark mounts. Does anyone have any solutions or are there any aftermarket items that will allow stuff to be carried on the factory rack?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just talked to the folks at Yakima. They panned the factory crossbars, though they said the main rack was very strong. Claimed the crossbars could not stand the torque applied by my canoe or kayak. They recommend the lowrider or lowrider max w/claw2, which attach directly to the factory rack, using a yakima crossbar. I have manually movedthe crossbars and they are not very stable, but it stinks that they charge you for this rack that is essentially aesthetic only, and lowers your wind resistance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I think the only Yakima rack gear carriers that mount directly to the Toyota FJ Cruiser roof rack crossbars are the new model yakima skis racks - the fat cat and powderhound ones. The older ski racks would need th universal mightymount adapters. Of course that begs the question if the universal mighty mounts are compatible on the fj cruiser factory bars then why can' t you use them to connect the bike racks and kayak racks? they must not think the crossbars are strong enough for these loads. Would be strange though that toyota would put such flimsy crossbars on???

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I went ahead and got the Yakima Lowrider Max, which attaches very strongly to the outer rack. However, if you thought the rack was already way high and wind resistant, wait 'til you put the new crossbars and kayaks saddles on it. Now I can't go under certain overpasses(just kidding, but it is tight under my carport).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like I'm talking to myself here, but last comment; The Yakima Rack(lowrider max) fits and is easy to get on/off, but the wind noise is awful. I have gone to just attaching my various kayak/canoe/bike attachments to the rack, then putting the rack on the FJ bars only when I need it. Ordinarily this would be a giant pain, but the Yak Lowrider Max makes on/off really easy. It attaches with a claw that clamps on using a bolt that you tighten with your hand, so I can get it on or off in 2-3 minutes. Still, the wind noise is bad, and the landshark saddles actually hit my carport(about 1 cm too tall).

If anyone has a better solution for rack use please advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts