Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since ORS and Downey both are now closed :td: I am wondering if there are any other options for manual hub conversions on Tundras. I ask because I look at the 95.5 Tacoma spindle w/manual hubs and it is identical to my tundra spindle (unless I am missing anything). The hard part would be outer CV stub, for most of the people who have gone LT I believe the way they take the outer stub off the axle is by cutting the axle shaft close to the outer joint and then rotate the cage around and remove whats left of the axle shaft. Is this possible with the 95.5 tacoma outer stub too? If it is then shouldnt you be able to still perform a manual hub conversion? My truck is not ABS so the whole ABS thing is not a problem. Am I going down the wrong track here?? Theoretically if you could go this route you could probably do a manual hub conversion on a non ABS Tundra for about $400 (cost to find the axles and spindle of 95.5 Tacoma at a junk yard). Anybody?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spindles are the same as far as I can see. Measurements are the same as my tundra's and I have already test fitted the lower ball joint assembly/steering arm, with good results. The calipers fit (bolt up) by my measurements but I havent put a rotor on them yet I guess that is the moment of truth. I went ahead and got the stuff to see if it would work and so far it looks promising. I will keep everyone posted on this.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Bump...just curious if this worked out, Matt. I'm finally getting around to building my 03 AC Tundra, and it's killing me that ORS and Downey are done.

If it worked for you, do you think it would work on an ABS rig?

CV

·
1,768 Posts
Here is what I've learned doing my ORS manual hub conversion:

The Inner CV joint: Stays the same.
The outer manual hub axles from the 1996-2004 Tacoma are being used.
The outer and Inner Knucle/spindle Oil seals are the same exact part numbers between these two vehicles.

The clip that goes on the outer wheel bearing is the same on both vehicles.

The outer CV dust shield is the same. I cannot verify if the outer boots are the same.

You can verify this with DIYToyo (http://www.toyodiy.com) and using the 1996 TOYOTA TACOMA (VZN170L-CRPDKAB) as I did to verify part numbers with your own Tundra's VIN #

When the ADD Wheel hubs are used on the 1996 Tacoma instead of the Manual Wheel hubs <<< ( What was provided in the ORS kit ) the part numbers are the exact same: 43502-04040

So..... obviously. The wheel hubs for the manual hub conversion are used from 1996 - 2004 Tacomas and were used for the 2000-2006 Tundra ORS kits

The outer CV joint I am told from CV unlimited is from the 1996 -2004 Tacoma. The ORS shaft I am not sure about , but I would think it is from the Tacoma as well since the ORS kit was utilizing the manual hub outers . Inner/Outer: The spline count on the 7.5" IFS reverse clamshell diff: 27 splines.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Truck is in the same state as me offically, I will be digging into this in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Here is what I've learned doing my ORS manual hub conversion:

The Inner CV joint: Stays the same.
The outer manual hub axles from the 1996-2004 Tacoma are being used.
The outer and Inner Knucle/spindle Oil seals are the same exact part numbers between these two vehicles.

The clip that goes on the outer wheel bearing is the same on both vehicles.

The outer CV dust shield is the same. I cannot verify if the outer boots are the same.

You can verify this with DIYToyo (http://www.toyodiy.com) and using the 1996 TOYOTA TACOMA (VZN170L-CRPDKAB) as I did to verify part numbers with your own Tundra's VIN #

When the ADD Wheel hubs are used on the 1996 Tacoma instead of the Manual Wheel hubs <<< ( What was provided in the ORS kit ) the part numbers are the exact same: 43502-04040

So..... obviously. The wheel hubs for the manual hub conversion are used from 1996 - 2004 Tacomas and were used for the 2000-2006 Tundra ORS kits

The outer CV joint I am told from CV unlimited is from the 1996 -2004 Tacoma. The ORS shaft I am not sure about , but I would think it is from the Tacoma as well since the ORS kit was utilizing the manual hub outers . Inner/Outer: The spline count on the 7.5" IFS reverse clamshell diff: 27 splines.
Hey james, I just got the ORS kit at a ridiculous price used (just need bearings and gaskets, new boots) with the warn hub and the axles they sold. Im running a diff drop and ext. c/os. Did you cage mod your inners? what boots are you running? Im thinking about replacing the high angles with 930's (orange high angle have holes and seem too thin) what is your axle set up?? what inner and outer boots do you have? better suggestions since you installed?

·
1,768 Posts
Hey james, I just got the ORS kit at a ridiculous price used (just need bearings and gaskets, new boots) with the warn hub and the axles they sold. Im running a diff drop and ext. c/os. Did you cage mod your inners? what boots are you running? Im thinking about replacing the high angles with 930's (orange high angle have holes and seem too thin) what is your axle set up?? what inner and outer boots do you have? better suggestions since you installed?
I haven't installed everything yet. I have been making sure I get every part I need and verifying boot part numbers and clamps.

I ended up getting the 930 Inner CV boots from Kartek. They sent what they know fits. Then I got the CV Unlimited: CV grease.

Then looking for the outer boots I saw that the boots are the same between the Tundra and the 1996-2004 Tacomas based on the part numbers. Link given to the site for you to verify.

The wheel bearings as I stated are the same too even though the part numbers are different. I know they are the same ,because the same ADD wheel hub part number that's used on the Tacoma is used on the Tundra. Order up the Tundra wheel bearing and you'll be fine. BTW... I'm getting every bearing on the Front and Rear diffs ( Re-gearing to 4.56 gears w/ REM polishing and the coating ) as well as the wheel bearings REM polished & microblue coated to gain HP/TQ plus increasing the mile-age hopefully. Ceramic Bearings for Racing

·
Registered
163 Posts
ceramic. damn. in the bicycle world those things are nuts and have a HUGE pricetag. PLEASE keep this or ME updated. I want to regear but am putting it off cause of the X2 with 4x4. Link for your inner boots?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
this is pretty cool. its surprising that no other company that is in business has taken up the task of making another kit available. i see interest for these kits everywhere.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just installed manual hubs on my Tundra, I will post pics at some point.

I used the whole knuckle/bearing/hub assy from a 96 Tacoma, bought it from someone on TTORA. Since I have Long Travel and I am doing a 4x4 conversion at the same time I used the Tundra Axles from Total Chaos, my existing inner joint, and two new outer joints for the Tacoma. Everything fit well except for the fact that you do have to trim the dust shield around the Tacoma where the Caliper goes (probably a difference in Caliper sizes between the smaller and larger calipers).

Drove it around today after finishing and it is fully functional, no axle movement while in FREE, and axle movement in LOCK. Spindles between 96-00 Tacomas are in fact IDENTICAL to the Tundra.

PS this worked well for me since my 02 Tundra is not ABS..... I am pretty sure they did not make an ABS Manual hub Tacoma. Arrlso Tundra axle shafts go directly into 96-00 Tacoma outer stub, you just have to forcibly remove your existing outer stub.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
ive heard from 3rd gen 4runner owners that they can bolt up the 95.5 taco maunual hubs with abs, you need a special tool to pull the abs off and then reattach but so far it has worked for a few ppl. wonder if this is possible, or the same for tundras with abs

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't know much about that, ABS spindles come with an attachment hole (for the wiring) cast into the knuckle itself. I have never seen a manual hub spindle that had the same attachment hole cast into it. To get manual hubs on a Tundra w/ABS I think you have to actually go through all the press work, MAYBE they did make ABS manual hub Tacomas/4Runners but I havent seen them.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't know much about that, ABS spindles come with an attachment hole (for the wiring) cast into the knuckle itself. I have never seen a manual hub spindle that had the same attachment hole cast into it. To get manual hubs on a Tundra w/ABS I think you have to actually go through all the press work, MAYBE they did make ABS manual hub Tacomas/4Runners but I havent seen them.
Yep had to press out the hub and press it back into an ABS one.

Check out the offroad section I posted pics of what I did.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/214397-2002-tundra-4wd-conversion-offroad-build/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts