Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my truck for several months and haven't got a clue when or how to use manual shift. I couldnt find this topic anywhere on TS. Could someonw please post a link or give me a qwik education. I'd go read the manual but my truck is buried in about 3 feet of snow outside, plus I'm lazy and cant read too good.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
I use mine when I do a burnout. I leave it in 1st and do my business. Other than that, I have no clue.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I can't figure why it always defaults to 4th gear. Why not the gear the trans is in at the time you shift over?

You can do two things, plus what Gutz does, bump the gears down to get more power than what the auto trans is giving you, or bump up quicker to save gas.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Mainly it sets the highest gear that can be used by the transmission. I find it useful for downshifts, less so for upshifts.

If you want to climb trees, put your truck in 4LO and lock it into 1st gear, you won't go fast, but very little will stand in your way of moving forward.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you are towing a heavy load you put it in manual and manually shift it to 5th gear. leave it in this position and when you slow down or stop it will go to low or 1st gear. Just take off normally and it will upshift all the way to 5th gear and never go into 6th. This will keep the transmission from down shifing from 5th to 6th and will keep the transmisson from overheating. I was pulling a trailer loaded with snow mobiles in Northern Quebec in 4 wheel drive at 60 to 80 MPH in -40 degree weather and my trany overheated in drive. Had to manually put it in 5th gear and it kept it from overheating. I also use it for downshifting when I come up to a red light or stop sign. I would really like to have a real 6 speed manual trany in my truck.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Mainly it sets the highest gear that can be used by the transmission.
This is exactly correct. Its not a "manual" shift. It simply sets the transmission in the highest gear it will upshift to. When it defaults over to 4th its not putting it in 4th its saying this is the highest gear the truck will shift into. The "S" mode stands for sequential, not sport or any other s word.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
honestly, if u have to ask how and when to manually select a gear, then i think its best for you just to leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I use mine when I do a burnout. I leave it in 1st and do my business. Other than that, I have no clue.
+1
Other than roasting tires... the tranny in "D" does a fine job of hitting the limiter and slamming through the gears pretty good...

If I was pulling something in the hills and wanted to conserve my brakes on the downhill grades, then I may let the engine help out a bit...

·
Banned
444 Posts
It places it in fourth, because no matter what gear your in, it wont over rev and roast a motor and tranny.

Mainly use for burnout's, hill pulling and slowing down suddenly.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
You can rev-match on downshifts!!! Well not quite like a real manual but its still fun to hear the exhaust rumble on downshifts...Just blip the throttle real quick while at the same time downshifting and you can get some pretty smooth rev-matched downshifts. There is my contribution. You have been schooled.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Sequential shift is not purely manual. It is still computer assisted in most instances. I use it most of the time specially in stop and go traffic. Prevents the truck from lurching forward as the transmission shifts to the next gear and then you're too fast for the traffic and you have to slam the brakes. So I just put the tranny in a gear to where the truck can decelerate when I let go of the gas pedal.

The number displayed will be the highest gear the tranny will upshift. So if it shows 4th, then the tranny will shift automatically from 1st up to 4th gear and then just stays there.

Now, if you slow down to a stop, the tranny will downshift automatically. When the truck starts moving, the tranny will go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and so on automatically up to the displayed number. The computer will also prevent the engine from over revving if you downshifted too much. You'll hear a series of beeps.

You can't force the tranny to upshift by using S mode or drive the truck from stop in any other gear other than 1st gear. You can use S mode to function like an auto mode by moving the shifter to S and selecting number 6. It will shift automatically. This is helpful if you're loaded heavy but do not want the shock of putting the gear from 6th to 4th at once. Takes some practice and getting used to it. Works great.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I've put it in 2nd, even 3rd, many times at stop and started from there so as not to suck gas in 1st. It seems to work.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I like to use the S mode when I,m driving in the mountians. It really is good for not having to stay on the brakes all the way down. Also some times use the tow/haul to help hold it in gear a little longer when going up. As far as a manual shifter it will only go in the gear that the ecu will let it go in at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Excellent, Thank you. -may be useful pulling a travel trailer around the mountains. Will have to play with it some to get familiar with it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts