Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 Tacoma with a Manual Trans. I have about 11,000 miles on my truck now should i change the Manual Trans fluid? Also i think my truck came with a external Trans cooler because i got the tow package. Should i add another one or is that one ok, and should i add a in line filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
read the manual on when it recommends you to change your tranny fluid. I would stick with that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think the extra transmission cooler in the towing package only applies to the auto transmission. I don't think the manual needs one. I could be wrong, though. Somebody else?

As for changing the transmission oil, I don't think it's ever needed with a manual. I could be wrong again, but I did not find anything about that in the maintenance schedule, and I have never changed the transmission oil in any car/truck I have owned (they were all sticks). That's one advantage of the manual vs. the auto tranny.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I concur with 06Sport. There is a seperate booklet that came with the truck called "Schedualed Maintenance Guide". Look for the category called "Driving While Towing". TacoGuy

EDIT: My experience: I have never changed the oil in a manual transmision. My '95 Taco V6 4X4 has 141,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've never seen an additional cooler for a manual trans. One reason is that there is no pump to pump the fluid through a cooler. Toyota doesn't specify an interval for the manual trans fluid. It does give a replacment interval for the transfer case at 30000 mile intervals under severe service, but just an inspection under normal service. Unless you want to swap for sythetic oil, I would leave it alone with only 11000 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 06 Tacoma with a Manual Trans. I have about 11,000 miles on my truck now should i change the Manual Trans fluid? Also i think my truck came with a external Trans cooler because i got the tow package. Should i add another one or is that one ok, and should i add a in line filter? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Transmission cooler is only on the automatics w/ tow pkg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
On my last truck I changed the manual transmission fluid every 15-20k miles. It definitely made a difference in how it shifted, it was much crisper with fresh fluid. Of course my last truck was a Ford Ranger with a notoriously weak mazda transmission and it had rubber plugs on top of the case that tended to leak water into the case. But changing it every couple of years or so might be a good idea. It wouldn't hurt to change it once and see if you feel a difference.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I have always changed out the manual trans fluid first time at 5-10K miles even though most do not call for it. Lots of powder fine brass/bronze dust from the syncro's suspended in the fluid sometimes makes for slightly more difficult shifts compared to fresh fluid. Synthetic fluids can make shifting easier when trans is cold, but don't expect measurable fuel economy increases, just better shifting. It is just such a simple and inexpensive task so why not. No coolers on most manual trans, only one I know of with cooler is the HD ZF6 used by Ford and GM; the SuperDuty Ford's use the radiator in-tank cooler on certain models, trans has small internal pump to circulate the low vis fluid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts