Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2003 last week it started devolved an interesting problem with the breaks. While driving the break peddle will get very stiff and when I apply the brakes the truck will stop with the peddle going down about a tenth of an inch when stopped I can press down hard and the peddle will go straight to the floor and a small popping sound comes from the master cylinder. The time I start the truck it will go back to normal for a couple of hours. I checked to see if there were any vacuum leeks and I could not find any. To me it sounds like the master cylinder but I am not sure and I don’t plan to replace it unless a need to, given the price. Any ideas?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Not the master cylinder. You are pushing down very hard when it goes down I assume, right? This is you forcing the pedal down and trying to compress the brake fluid within th system. And as we remember from middle or highschool science, you cannot compress a liquid to well.

Back to the issue at hand. This is normal. If I push my pedal down very hard, it will go down too. As to what the noise is, not sure. But I don't know why you are doing this, if it drives good, stops good, why mess with it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
normally I would agree but the issue is when the peddle goes stiff, I just tap the breaks and the truck will slam to a stop.

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
If your brakes are extremely touchy and lock up with very little applied pressure your booster may have a cracked internal hub. When there is a crack in the phenolic hub inside the booster it will be either totally on or totally off. Any slight pressure to the pedal will cause the brakes to lock up.

There are some easy checks to do that will tell you the health of your booster, sorry gotta run but google "brake booster check" and you'll find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts