Toyota Tundra Forums banner

Master Tonneau Cover REVIEW Thread, Find Real Customer Reviews Here!

18K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Tundrazx1400 
#1 ·
Toyota Tundra Tonneau Cover Master REVIEW Thread, Find Real Customer Reviews Here!

We are looking for REAL reviews from the people who are passionate about their vehicles and actually use the products day in and day out. If successful, this thread will also serve as a reviews headquarter for anyone shopping for Tonneau Covers or Truck Bed Accessories for their Toyota Tundra! We are asking that you to take a moment to write a quick review on any Tonneau Cover you have purchased for your Toyota Tundra. If you have several products, please create a new post for each additional product.

HOW TO LEAVE YOUR REVIEW:
Example.

First Name:
Stuart
Product Purchased: BakFlip FiberMax Tonneau Cover
Vehicle Installed on: 2007 Toyota Tundra 6' Bed
Rating(1-5 Star): 5
Your Review: I love the cover! Very happy with the ease of use and strength of the panels. Pretty easy to install, utilized a video from your site which was very helpful. The instructions that accompanied product were clear and easy to understand.
Picture:

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Toyota Tundra Tonneau Cover Master REVIEW Thread, Find Real Customer Reviews Here

Great idea. There's some of us that are looking for a cover. I have a brand new 2012 and it is still naked and needs covered. It would be helpful if all would also give the price and where they got it in their reviews. Naked ChiChi

#3 ·
Anyone have a tonneau cover they would like to leave a review on today? Lets hear them!

#4 ·
Anyone else have a cover they would like to leave a review on?

#5 ·
Re: Toyota Tundra Tonneau Cover Master REVIEW Thread, Find Real Customer Reviews Here

I have a 2011 Tundra Crewmax, that I installed a Bakflip G2 tonneau cover on. It looks great, does everything that the manufacturer sites states except it leaks water all the time!

I own an appliance repair business, and have tools in tool boxes along with parts organizers in the bed of my Tundra. I am very picky about my truck, as I am about anything I own. After I purchased my Tundra, I installed a Bed Rug in the floor and sides to protect all the surfaces. Then to protect the tools inside my bed, I installed the BacFlip cover. It looks great, a smooth transition from the side rails to the cover itself. The ease of its folding all the way back to the cab is great, and the ability to stand against the cab when moving a large object in the bed is a great addition. Only problem is it leaks water. I purchased it through a business in town, which is a local car detailer shop, and they installed it for me the first time, and when it leaked, they called the company and BacFlip sent an entire new cover. We installed it, and then our area had a dry spell. Not much rain, so no leaks. When we did finally receive rain, a small amount leaked through, but I have my tools inside weather proof boxes, I called the company. I was never able to speak with the company about it, as I was directed to leave a message. They never called me back. I called them back another time, and once more, had to leave a message. Once again, I was never called back to hear my concerns. But then, when it started to leak during the winter when snow would sit on the cover, and the next Spring with the rains, it was leaking all the time, and my warranty was past. So I am stuck with a leaking cover that looks great. I hate it. Wish I had gone with the roll up type. Anything but this. I have thousands of dollars worth of tools in my bed that I have to protect with weather proof boxes now, and after a rain, I have to go dry off those boxes. What a pain! Please make sure you do your research before buying. I did, but look what it got me!

#6 ·

I have a 2011 Tundra Crewmax, that I installed a Bakflip G2 tonneau cover on. It looks great, does everything that the manufacturer sites states except it leaks water all the time!

I own an appliance repair business, and have tools in tool boxes along with parts organizers in the bed of my Tundra. I am very picky about my truck, as I am about anything I own. After I purchased my Tundra, I installed a Bed Rug in the floor and sides to protect all the surfaces. Then to protect the tools inside my bed, I installed the BacFlip cover. It looks great, a smooth transition from the side rails to the cover itself. The ease of its folding all the way back to the cab is great, and the ability to stand against the cab when moving a large object in the bed is a great addition. Only problem is it leaks water. I purchased it through a business in town, which is a local car detailer shop, and they installed it for me the first time, and when it leaked, they called the company and BacFlip sent an entire new cover. We installed it, and then our area had a dry spell. Not much rain, so no leaks. When we did finally receive rain, a small amount leaked through, but I have my tools inside weather proof boxes, I called the company. I was never able to speak with the company about it, as I was directed to leave a message. They never called me back. I called them back another time, and once more, had to leave a message. Once again, I was never called back to hear my concerns. But then, when it started to leak during the winter when snow would sit on the cover, and the next Spring with the rains, it was leaking all the time, and my warranty was past. So I am stuck with a leaking cover that looks great. I hate it. Wish I had gone with the roll up type. Anything but this. I have thousands of dollars worth of tools in my bed that I have to protect with weather proof boxes now, and after a rain, I have to go dry off those boxes. What a pain! Please make sure you do your research before buying. I did, but look what it got me!
Try contacting Bak directly and letting them know of your situation. They are usually VERY good with customer service, sometime even out of your warranty range. Here is a link to their contact info:

BAK Industries

#7 ·
I purchased an Extang Solid Fold tri-fold for my 2004 limited crewcab a few years ago, and after a windy day the cover whipped open(i had it unlatched after having just used it to transport some equipment and parked it beside my factory)and the handle latches came down as they never secured well at all, and they punched a 1" hole on either side of the last panel, AND the seams popped on the first panel. I called extang to complain as it shouldn't have that happen imo. They advised me that they were not willing to do anything and that it was on me.
I just traded up to a new 2014 SR5 CM, I'm thinking about going with an Undercover Flex, since another thing I wasn't crazy about was that the solid fold sat on top of the bed instead of set-inside it. A lot of that is just personal opinion. However the flaw with the latch system not staying in place was a bit of a glaring problem. Also I didn't like losing 2.5 feet or so with that final fixed panel that doesn't tilt up like on the flex or the Bak.

The reason I'm leaning towards the Flex over the Bak is, I didn't like that with the Bak if your truck has the rail system you have to lower it what looks like 2-3 inches. Which would interfere with my most commonly carried cargo. I talked to someone at autocustoms.com and they assured me that with the FLEX I won't lose the ability to use my bed cleats but I would lose the mobility to move them from one end to the other. Which is acceptable to me. all in all it adds up to a better fitting cover for my needs. The common comparison points mentioned(doesn't come in contact with the cab, retention clips instead of bungee cords, etc.) are all great but not the deciding factor for me.
Does anyone have real life experience with the Flex on a Tundra and can attest to the bed cleats and points I've made? I'd love some affirmation or at least definition before I shell out some cash on one of these puppies.

#9 ·
I'll pony up.
2012 crewmax. Bakflip fibermax which is one down from their top of the line I think.
Pros-Easy install. Like the slam latch operation, low profile and added security. Like that I don't have to lock it with a key.
Cons-And this is after 3 years of use-The D rings at the front of the cover are rusting, so are the rivets that hold them in. Should have been made of stainless.
Weather strip around the outside perimeter should be a little wider to eliminate water getting in. I cant remember the brand I saw but it was basically the exact same looking as mine but the weather strip was quite a bid wider.
Overall I would give it an 8 out of 10. 2 points for the D rings and the weather strip. Other than that its holding up mint. Seals are still solid with no signs of cracking........so far.
I would buy it again and I would buy it again from Autocustoms. They have provided great customer service on anything I bought from them. And no, I don't work for them of have any affiliation, I just appreciate good customer service.

Reactions: Chuck4200
#10 ·
First Name: BrotherTundra
Product Purchased: BakFlip Tonneau Cover
Vehicle Installed on: 2007 and 2013 Toyota Tundra 6' Bed
Rating(1-5 Star): -0000000000
Your Review:
I've Owned 3 Toyota Tundras 2007 , 2013 , Present 2016. Crew Max Limited Edition

( 07 given to son ) 07&2013 Texas Edition Dbl Cab Trade in

Not Worth Today's Pricing Look forward too:

1. PANELS ARE NOT REPLACEABLE. If damaged advised purchase an Entire New Cover $800

2. Hardware Rusts ( Bolts and Attachments ) Carwashed truck on average 2X A Week!

3. Leaks Horribly After 4 years of use noticed after 1st year then gotten worse.

4. After 4 years of use these are true facts which helped me in deciding NOT to invest in another Bakflip Cover.

Next Cover: Will be FoldACover G4 Elite

Parts and Panels Replaceable Worthy to be My Next Investment For My New Vehicle

2016 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited Edition: Already purchased 2 weeks Ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.