Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have on 02 Tundra Lim TRD WITHOUT a lift, does anyone know the largest tires i can fit? I will be using the stock rims.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want to know the realistic sizes that will fit(with a little rub if needed) not what the book says. and i dont appreciate the smart **** pirate, im the one trying to upgrade my truck past an exhaust system and a tonneau cover

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
im the one trying to upgrade my truck past an exhaust system and a tonneau cover
To bigger tires on stock rims with no lift? lol

The google results pirate posted had links to similar threads as this one, not "what the book says". If you would take the time to read them, it says 265-75R16 is the largest you should go with no lift. Been covered many times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its 2wd, sorry for not putting it earlier. but 265/75R16 isnt but only about an inch more in diameter than stock. and my truck has a rediculous rake and i dont know if its the same as a 4x4 or if it will make that big of a difference on the fit of the front tires

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
JSham said:
i dont appreciate the smart **** pirate, im the one trying to upgrade my truck past an exhaust system and a tonneau cover
If you are going to insult me, at least do it right. It's just a muffler, ok? System implies multiple parts working together.

I'm a poor, about-to-be college student. I can't afford all of the things I would like to do to my truck.

In my opinion, larger tires without lifting is a downgrade, not an upgrade. Any gains in ground clearance are overshadowed by the loss of suspension travel, and larger tires mean less fuel economy. Other than looks, I don't see how this is much of an upgrade.

P.S. I enjoy my tonneau cover, thank you very much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im right in the poor, about-to-be college student boat with you. but i did check out your link and none of it was helpful to me. im looking to put more than an inch in diameter onto the stock size cause i know that it will fit it, knowing that it will rub when the suspension is flexed out. Im not looking to trail ride so the flex isnt a probablem for me. and im sure you know that 1st gen tundra have plenty of clearance so im not working on that, im just trying to get some better traction. and im not trying to put down your mods, i have a rugged cover and glass packs, i was just saying how i am trying to make my truck a little better offroad than it is now

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
its 2wd, sorry for not putting it earlier. but 265/75R16 isnt but only about an inch more in diameter than stock. and my truck has a rediculous rake and i dont know if its the same as a 4x4 or if it will make that big of a difference on the fit of the front tires
So you think bigger tires will fix the rake? You'll need to do more than that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i understand the rake aint going away without a lift or level, im just not sure if it is gonna make a difference in the clearance of larger tires. the target audience of this post was 2wd tundra owners cause they would have a better idea of how my truck is set up but any help i can get from you 4x4 guys will help

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
So you think bigger tires will fix the rake? You'll need to do more than that.
I think he's saying the increased rake may affect how large a tire he can fit in there, since the front end is sitting lower?

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tires-and-wheels/85332-largest-tire-size-02-tundra-without/

Your very question was asked back in 2007, and if you read the thread it had been covered many times back then. And yes, this is the second search result from my link.

You may want to acquaint yourself with the search function, there are many, many, MANY posts on this subject.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i looked at that thread. the problem was, the guy's truck was 4x4. this may not make a difference but i would like to know before i go spend a ton of money on tires that im not gonna be happy with

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
actually 285/70R16, at 32" is the next size up. but Erki please could tell me where his tires rub, as in the flare, or flaps, etc.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
actually 285/70R16, at 32" is the next size up. but Erki please could tell me where his tires rub, as in the flare, or flaps, etc.
OK, my bad. 285-70R16 is 31.71" tall and 11.22" wide. 265-75R16 is 31.65" tall and 10.43" wide. The heighth difference is hardly noticeable, while the width may be an issue. A quick search on discounttire.com shows 25 different tires in the 265-75R16 and only 1 in 285-70R16.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts