Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are looking at getting a 37-40ft fifth wheel and this will force me to part with my Tundra. Unfortantly Toyota has dragged it's rear on getting a 1-ton diesel to the market and would have made my choice very simple: Drive to the Toyota dealership and buy a 1-ton Tundra. Since I can't do this I'm forced with going to Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. I'm very hesitant on doing this due to some reliability issues of the above mentioned companies. After reading consumer reports I believe that the Ford is out of the qeustion. I used to drive a 1999 Dodge Cummins 3500 for work but the tranny left me stranded a few times. That leaves with a CMC (I don't like the looks of the Chevy) with a Duramax/Allision Combo.
The Tundra has been a great truck with over 70,000 trouble free miles.

So does anyone have any recommendations to steer me in the right direction. It will be a daily driver and a 4x4:help:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Do what you gotta do man. The GMC drivetrain is great but I wouldn't look past the dodge with the new heavy duty 6-speed. The cummins is an excellent engine.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
my co worker has a new super duty diesel and he loves it...of course all he tows at this point is his moomba ski boat....but the plan is for a 5th wheel....not that that tidbit of info is much help haha

·
Registered
722 Posts
If I needed a truck to pull what you do,I'd jump on a GMC for sure.Like you I'm not impressed with the Chevy's looks.It would be between the Tundra and GMC for me in a half ton, 'IF' GM would build a half-ton Double Cab with a bed length that didn't remind me of a Honda Ridgeline's!:confused:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
If I needed a truck to pull what you do,I'd jump on a GMC for sure.Like you I'm not impressed with the Chevy's looks.It would be between the Tundra and GMC for me in a half ton, 'IF' GM would build a half-ton Double Cab with a bed length that didn't remind me of a Honda Ridgeline's!:confused:
im sure by double cab you mean crew cab....their extended cab still comes with a real bed. heck, toyota doesnt even offer a crew cab with a non ridgeline size bed.... nissan titan came with that option but no one else offered a real bed on a real truck...

but obviously he isnt wanting to go to a GM half ton truck since he has a half ton that tows more as it is and isnt what he needs...their heavy duty trucks do come with real beds and they actually look pretty mean and look tons better than their half ton counterparts IMO

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
WoW that is one big 5'er you are looking at! Guest bedroom, two baths!!!? :rolleyes:

If I had to switch I would lean towards the Cummins, don't know how well the new 6-spd will hold up but just the same I had my fill of being nickled and dimed with my GM trucks.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Yea I had a dodge for awhile & the powertrain was solid, just everythang else came apart starting at about 100k, plus I havn't heard to much about them but the local dealer loks like it's about to go under(just looking from the road). If the economy took a real nose dive(worse than now) I believe I'd rather be in a ford. That's a big investment you gota try & protect. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would wait as long as possible to see if Toyota will come out with a 1 ton, or at least until the new Superduty comes out for 2011. The Navistar diesel goes away and Ford will offer a 6.7L replacement designed in house using all the knowledge they gained in making diesels for the European market. There is supposed to be a 6 speed version of the Torqueshift transmission as well which should improve performance and economy.

Congressional Motors and Chrysler are in a bad position and may not be around to honor a warranty over the life of their product, but Ford looks like they will be OK. Also of the three current 1 ton offerings the Ford is the overall stronger truck, it just needs a more competitive engine and transmission.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had an 04 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins that I sold when I bought my current Tundra. I put a Edge Attitude chip on it at 1200 miles and it worked flawlessly the entire time I owned it. I pulled my Hauler (approx. 12klbs loaded) with it about twice a month. I pulled it from 1200ft to over 7kft on a regular basis,,, pulled the Hauler through the sand at the Imperial Sand Dunes. Put over 80K on it like that, all with a level kit and 35" mudders. The truck had no leaks/drips issues of any kind. The interior was put together nicely and never loosend up. (no squeeks rattles or anything) I was disappointed in the Tundra interior after leaving the Dodge 3/4ton. The only issue I had was a leaky power steering hose replaced under warranty. Truck was built like a tank,,, not one issue with it. (and I was not a Dodge fan before that purchase.)

I have buds with Superduty's and Dmax's,,, I'ver ridden in all of them. The new gen SD's are REAL nice trucks. A buddy of mine had an 06 SD. It was nice enough. He chipped the hell out of it,,, and drove it like he stole it. I can't believe that truck didn't break before it actually was stolen about a year ago,,, he beat the piss out of it. He had some shifting issues with the "learning Tranny" while pulling his TH,,, but that's all that I know of as far as problems go. He now has a loaded new Gen SD,,, Super nice and DAMNED quiet,, but the new engine/twin turbo and service needs etc. scare me on the new Fords.

I work with a gent that has a 06 Dmax. It's nice on the interior,,, I just don't care for the truck's ride. It looks nice and rides a little soft for me,, but he has had no problems with it. (he doesn't tow anything very heavy.)

I have another bud with an 06 Cummins. His doesn't have the limites slip diff... GET THAT if you can... My Cummins had the LS and it made a HUGE difference. (especially when we were pullin haulers through the sand.!!

If I ever was in need of another smoker,,, I would get the Cummins again without a seconds hesitation. The SD was nice,,, but when we pulled our haulers up North,,, the Cummins handled the hills MUCH better than the Ford.

Unless things have changed in the last couple model years,,,, the Cummins is the only one rated as a HD Diesel,,, the Ford/Chevy are rated at Medium Duty. You are gonna be pulllin a bunch of weight with that Fiver,,, I'd go with the Heavy Duty Torque monster that is the Cummins.

YMMV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
New 2010 Dodge's come out this fall - wait for those and don't look back. The bugs seem to be worked out of the 6.7 engines at this point and the Heavy Duty body / interior is mostly a carryover from the 1500 so this should be a stable platform on day 1.

I wouldn't buy the Ford until it has a few years to work their bugs out. I'll never buy another GM after the last one but that's my opinion. I do think they make a nice looking truck.

If Toyota doesn't come out with a 1 ton diesel before my next truck, this is what I will likely buy. I love my truck but a 37 to 40' fifth wheel is also in my future too.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
The new Dodge is a very promising truck in many ways. If offers much of the refinement in the interior that you would enjoy in the Ford / GM, but Dodge pairs it with a great motor.....if the EPA issues are worked out.

As well, Ford is introducing a new 6.7L Powerstroke for CY2010. This new diesel will replace the Navistar diesel. You might not want to be the first to buy it, but it is supposed to have a significant increase in fuel mileage over the VERY THIRSTY 6.4. As well....it is supposed to be much more powerful.

The LMM in the GM is a great motor and the new pickups seem to have some solid reliability. That being said, many of you have aluded to poor quality with the GM products......I have no experience there.

Good luck. I'd at least entertain the Dodge truck as the new one is supposed to be pretty nice. As well...there might be some good rebates on the old ones this fall....

·
Registered
722 Posts
im sure by double cab you mean crew cab....their extended cab still comes with a real bed. heck, toyota doesnt even offer a crew cab with a non ridgeline size bed.... nissan titan came with that option but no one else offered a real bed on a real truck...

but obviously he isnt wanting to go to a GM half ton truck since he has a half ton that tows more as it is and isnt what he needs...their heavy duty trucks do come with real beds and they actually look pretty mean and look tons better than their half ton counterparts IMO
6.5 ft. bed length is as short as I can get by with. If we're talking half ton Crew Cabs with 6.5 ft. beds, then the new F150 fits the bill. No reason GM can't put a door handle on the OUTSIDE and call it whatever they want,but it needs to be offered with a bed length CHOICE.Nisan ain't on my list,never was.When Ford dumps the 310 HP 5.4 V8 they've had for several decades,I think they'll be worth a look!

·
Just Call Me Hank
1,415 Posts
I was doing a quick look-see on the Dodge site and it appears that a 1 ton diesel is rated to pull just over 13,xxx lbs. Are these 37-40 5'er staying under that weight or would ya be better off looking at one of those tow only cabs?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I vote for a 3 yr old Cummings out of a Dodge, With an Allison Transmission out of the Chevy, installed in the Ford chasis.......
That is, until Toyota comes out with a Diesel.

They all got PART of it right, anyway.....

Peacemakerpete

·
Registered
441 Posts
Be wary of the emission changes in the new generation Diesels. Early ones had a lots of issues.

For really heavy towing, a light duty truck might be worthwhile. Some folks at work have the small International truck setup to pull horse trailers. They may be a little too much for daily commutes running empty but, traveling challenging roads with a heavy trailer offsets this compromise.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everone for your input. I have a few months of time on my side before I "need" to make the change. I want to utilize my reliable Tundra as long as I can while I'm in northern Alaska this winter. So far I have come to the conclusion that a 38ft fifth wheel will suit my needs. I have quickly researched a Sport Chassis medium duty truck but, the cost is out of the question and also driving something like that as a daily driver. I think that I'll be looking very closely at a 2010 Ram 3500 DRW mega cab 4x4. It looks like they will offer it with a longer bed per Dodge's website. I feel a lot of the emission problems they have had is that people are accidently filling up with the higher sulfer diesel and it causes some major issues. I do like the fact that the Cummins is matched to an Aisin 6spd auto and they beefed up the u-joints for the new model. This should be a very solid drivetrain, I just hope the rest of the truck will be as solid.

I am staying clear of ford due to the dismal mileage of the PSD and some reliable issues that I have read. The Chevy is a nice truck but, people that go from a Duramax to a Cummins say it's not even a comparision when it comes to towing. My dad has a 2008 Duramax 3500 DRW and has had a few issues and is thinking about a newer Dodge as well. He says that the transmission is the best part of the truck.

I'm really bummed that Toyota has dragged it's feet getting into the 1-ton market. I really like the design of the Tundra and comfort of the interior. I have driven 20+ hours several times and and I was always comfortable. I just drove over 5,000 miles a few weeks ago from Ohio to Fairbanks,AK and was very comfortable and had no issues with the truck. I hope a newer Ram will be as nice.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
I have to say i love the Superduty truck yet the 6.4 isn't the best out there and my old PSD was a 7.3, yet before getting my Tundra we drove all the available trucks in dually form and was impressed by the Dodge for its very car like driving, my wife even enjoyed driving that MegaCab dually which surprised me a bunch, just has a nice feel. The interior isn't as nice as the King Ranch superduty we drove but it handled rough roads just a well. Driving the GMC dually wasn't as smooth as expected and all had good power, yet the aftermarket is out there for all, but the Cummins is the most capable in a truck for now, not that any of the others aren't, just Cummins wins most every diesel power test, yet the F450 is an awesome truck which rode surprisingly well for a large truck with huge towing capabilities, also in King Ranch trim, very solid truck that took rough roads extremely well. I'd say wait for the Superduty or if time is restricted then test drive a Dodge and see what options you want.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If I had to purchase a 1 ton in the near future it would be a Dodge for sure. I have 3 buddies that all own 05-08s with the 5.9 and 6.7. They are solid trucks. I have a few buddies that own F350s as well. Nice truck but seem to have a few more problems when modded. The Dodge seems to handle the mods better. I do not like the looks of the Chevy/GMC so I would not even consider one. I really hope that by the time I need a smoker, Toyota has one available. Funny thing is all my buddies say that if Toyota had a smoker they would all trade for one.

Mark

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Be sure to visit pickuptrucks.com and read up on all the changes coming very soon (Jan 1,2010). That new Chevy has 2 filler necks, one for diesel and 1 for urea. Ford will have the same setup. I think the Dodge is already compliant. If I was looking at new, I would buy before the end of the year...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts