Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck a and van just got trashed by golf ball sized hail. ....Every vehicle in the neighborhood. I was getting ready to detail it this weekend. Unbelievable, it looks like winter outside.:td::(:mad:

getting dark and hard to see the damage from the pics i took, but it is freakin terrible. everyone is outside looking at all the damage done to ALL their vehicles.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Pictures please

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
WOW I am in MD too, did not see that stuff.
Sorry, sucks big time. Post pics please.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW I am in MD too, did not see that stuff.
Sorry, sucks big time. Post pics please.
added pics to orig post ^^^

I think its headed your way. RUN!! or at least hide in a basement after you put your truck under cover garage. .I was stuck in a wendys drive thru and couldnt go anywhere. I thought the windshield and sunroof was going to crack. Kids were flipping out. After it stopped there was the fog that you could not see ANYTHING for a while. It Freakin Destroyed my vehicles. IM pissed. But what are you gonna do.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
HOLY $HIT!!!!! Thats some huge hail. Did it damage your truck much, break any glass?? Is your house ok?

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Insurance adjusters will be working overtime. It sucks, but try to relax and hopefully they don't jerk you around.

Check the roof of your house as well.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont see any cracks in any glass, but the hood and roofs were pummled. Thanks for the advice on the roof of the house. Looks like most everything should be covered under comprehensive coverage as an act of God and repaired without raise in premium...At least thats what it said on the internet.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
About 8 to 9 years ago my Dodge got smoked by a hail storm, 1,000's of dents, the insurance co. made me proud, I dropped the full coverage, pocketed the money and ran the truck for 11 years and 165,000 miles with liability only. Two ways to look at it, try and bring the car back to new, or ya know a dent on a truck just adds character, 1,000's of dents no one will pull out in front of ya, and you wont care if someone scratches the truck ever again.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
WTF it's May.
Sorry man. Feel your pain. Hope they will fix it for you.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Whereabouts in Maryland are you? I was at the Pipe Band March down in DC tonight and we got hit with a lot of rain, no hail though. When I got home though, completely dry...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Well, yeah, it doesn't matter if it is May or not, it happens more often in summer... hail occurs when both a hot and cold system collide together. Tornados, etc. all happen when hot and cold fronts meet head on.
But hey, I'm in MD too, so far nothing, but I'm sorry this happened to you. If you're not planning on trading the truck in soon or selling it soon you can always pocket the insurance money. But at some point it will hit you unless you plan on driving the truck into the ground...

·
Registered
820 Posts
we got hail down here too. driving home and the radio said golf ball size hail in on the way. raced home and it hit about 5 min after i pulled in the garage. it wasnt big as yours though. hope everything works out for ya.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i hate hail. couple years ago we got hit pretty hard...whats weird is, it wasnt necessarily very large hail that got us, but the 90mph winds pushing it didnt help matters any...tundra was covered under blankets and comforters and still got about 2500 in damage...the house wound up with a new roof and screens and gutters and all that, to the tune of 16 grand.

biggest hail i remember was back in the 90s growing up and we had grapefruit sized hail....now that stuff totalled a bunch of vehicles, including a sweet turbo coupe t-bird my grandmother had....

·
Registered
859 Posts
Your insurance company probably will have it looked at by a PDR guy. And will pay accordingly. I would imagine your local dealership got hit too. They will be using a PDR guy for sure. Might want to see who THEY use. There are some truly gifted PDR guys out there, and there are also some that have no business doing it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The time my truck got smoked in a hail storm I was working nite shift, just got back to the shop with metal roof when the storm hit, talk about loud, I had allstate and they brought in claims adjusters from all over the country, the kid that did my claim walked outside to look at my truck, plenty folks there faking claims with one or two dents, when he saw my truck he just broke out laughing, it was incrediable and the kid maxed the claim out. Wish I could have had that kid to make my claim after Hurricane Katrina, got a old tight wade thief that didn't know how to read a tape measure.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have several holes in the vinyl siding, all the downspouts are dented, 1/2 of the screens on the windows have holes and a 'S' load of shingle grit on the ground. I cant imagine how the vehicles could be repaired, just too many dings to count all over. Starting the claim process today. ... bent over and holding my ankles.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Nothing more frustrating than being caught out in that stuff. Once was in Georgia in my truck for work and was caught when a hail storm approached, no where near shelter. Luckily there was a ton of vehicles crammed beneath the awning on front of a Home Depot and I was just barely able to squeaze in underneath there til it passed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Few quick words from an insurance adjuster and whose brother does the PDR.

Get your claim turned in but keep in mind they are doing tons of overtime and dealing with the initial cluster(*&^. It normally works out that the ones in a hurry to get their claim done are wanting the money and running so occasionally they get the quicky service and lower estimates to rush it out and get to everyone. The ones that actually want things fixed know that any decent shop is already too backed up with their normal customers and it will be weeks and months before they can actually repair yours anyway. Which brings up another point, the shops that can get right to you are the ones that may not have a good reputation, or are desperate and will also rush things.

As mentioned, most insurance companies will pay off of PDR (paintless dent repair) and since not all adjusters know the limitations, be careful. PDR can be an absolute wonderful thing within its limitations. It takes someone who will be honest with you to tell you the difference. The size hail that you received would more than likely warrant replacement of the top panels and then POSSIBLY some PDR to the sides. It does have its limitations on double panels (top of doors, top of bedsides, etc.) metal too stretched, hits too close together, etc. So make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing. Even PDR shops are bringing in extra help to handle the load increase and so may not be dealing with just the normal crew. Waiting til things calm down can be a good thing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts