Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have been reading a lot about using MDF for speaker adapters and I seem to only find that everyone is using 3/4" MDF. Is there any issues with using 1/2"?

Also, what product are you using to waterproof the mdf?

Thanks.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I used 3/4" MDF and sprayed it black so it would blend in. I did not buy a whole sheet, I bought I think a shelf for about $8 at home depot. That was enough to make all 4 doors and have some left in case I messed something up on one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For speaker adapters, it doesn't matter a whole lot... the thickness is important when making a sealed enclosure (or any box for that matter). As an adapter, you are primarily concerned with mounting your speakers. Although, with most applications, the thicker the better, but with an adapter, after 1/2" you are pretty close to reaching the point of deminishing returns.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The thickness of the MDF depends on the mounting depth of your speaker. If you can clear the window track behind the speaker with a 1/2" adapter, then you'll be fine. If not you'll need to go a little thicker, like 3/4" and then a 1/2" mounting ring.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've always just primed and painted my baffles to seal them up.
There is a big advantage in using a dense material for your baffles...............the same reason a dense material is better for box building. That's why MDF is a popular choice. It's cheap, easy to machine/cut and is very dense to help eliminate any resonance or vibration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts